FICM and injector problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 09:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
FICM and injector problems

Hey guys, I'm new to posting to the forum but I have been using this place to diagnose, fix and potentially make upgrades. My problems seem to all happen at once and I just thought I would get some advice from others.

My truck ('05 6.0L King Ranch) has been having a rough start on cold mornings and releasing a little white smoke on initial startup. Searched the forum and found I should check FICM. I did that and it had 48V with the key ON, but while running it would fluctuate anywhere from 48V-34V. I decided to pull it off and do the re-soldering job. Put the FICM back on the truck and now it still has 48V with key ON, 48V when running, but while cranking I saw it drop down to 20V then immediately bounce back up. -Have I fixed the problem or is my FICM still bad?

Decided to take the truck to a dealership and have them do a diagnostic on it to check injectors, glow plugs and anything else they could. They found injectors #1,6,7,8 "faulty". Of course they want an arm and a leg to fix them so I am going to ask a diesel mechanic I know what he would charge but before I do that I need to know, if I do replace all of the injectors am I wasting my time because the FICM kicked down to 20V when cranking? I don't want to ruin brand new injectors.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2012, 10:43 AM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluedemon6.0
I would replace the Ficm, because your voltage should not drop past 47v coming from your ficm. If you still have problems then you probably took out your injectors as well but you can get those rebuilt, worst comes to worst. I would not replace then injectors until you fix the Ficm voltage. Btw welcome to the org.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:48 AM
Premium Member

Your FICM is bad! Start there, then retest injectors.

Without the FICM working properly, any test done to prove bad injectors is innacurate.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the welcome. I just got off of the phone with the dealership and asked if they checked the FICM when they did the diagnostic and they said yes and it was fine... I told him about the 20V drop and he said that nothing came up on the computer and there were no codes showing up about the FICM. Now I'm torn, I really want to believe the test they ran and hope that my home test was just a mishap.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

FICM Repair.com - Your Source for FICM Repair

Alot of guys on this forum have used this guy and give him great reviews.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:26 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Welcome. Load test your batteries, nefore you put another ficm in. Bad batteries kill ficms. Check out ficmrepair.com. And get a monitor on that truck......Write Up: Monitoring the 6.0L PSD.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:41 AM

I would not trust the dealership. I have been screwed by dealerships more than I care to explain. I only used them while my vehicle was under warranty and then see ya! Find a good individual that works on diesels in your area. Search google maps then drive by and talk to them. I have found that most are super friendly and will give good advise regardless if you use them or not.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:04 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKShooter View Post
Thanks for the welcome. I just got off of the phone with the dealership and asked if they checked the FICM when they did the diagnostic and they said yes and it was fine... I told him about the 20V drop and he said that nothing came up on the computer and there were no codes showing up about the FICM. Now I'm torn, I really want to believe the test they ran and hope that my home test was just a mishap.
Ask very specific questions: "What is the FICM voltage while cranking when the engine is cold?"

This is usually a really great place to find helpful and kind people that want to help you thru the problems on your truck.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Had the the same problem with my FICM failing on me, and is currently at Ford getting replaced.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:41 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I just got back from picking up my truck and they said they didn't have any kind of print out results from the test they ran this morning. All they have is the confirmation that during the power balance test on the injectors that #1,6,7,8 were dropping out. I am going to retest the FICM tomorrow after it cools off tonight.

I was looking around the forum and I found a link to Warren Diesel for injectors. Have any of you dealt with them/ heard anything about them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.