2004 F350 6.0L dually diesel no heat at idle, losing coolant... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2012, 06:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2004 F350 6.0L dually diesel no heat at idle, losing coolant...

Hey everyone I am new to the forums obviously. I recently bought a 2004 f350 6.0 L diesel.

A few weeks after getting it I was driving on the freeway and out of no where the check Gage light turned on and the truck went into emergency power mode. After pulling off the road, I popped the hood and noticed the coolant tank was dry. So I refilled it and it runs fine now.

I am having two issues, the truck will not produce heat at idle unless i gun the truck to 2,500 rpm then the heat turns on but as it idles the heat turns into cold air.

The other issue i am having is the truck is losing coolant, but i have no idea where. I see no leaks around the engine or on the ground.

I took the truck to the dealer where i purchased the truck and they ran a diagnostics saying that injectors 2 and 6 need to be replaced?

I was talking to our diesel mechanic at the company i work for and he thinks that diagnostics is wrong. He believes that it is a cracked head gasket?

The truck runs fine, besides the fact that it leaks coolant and has no heat, engine sounds great and doesn't rattle, and does not sound like it has bad injectors.

I am looking for some advice or someone who is or has experienced the same problem. So i can pin point the correct issue. I've already dumped enough money into this truck, I don't want to spend more money on something that is not the correct issue.

P.S. I am all stock F350 diesel with idiot gauges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2012, 06:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

head gaskets are gone.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:17 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Is the EGR deleted? And you need a monitor on this truck ASAP. Let me know if I can help you out with any parts or upgrades you need. Otherwise it sounds like head gaskets are gone. If you click the link in my signature that is my build thread showing how to do head gaskets and studs in your driveway without any major tools.

Bryan @ Stealth Automotive
Old 10-28-2012, 06:18 PM

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10secondC View Post
head gaskets are gone.
What makes you say that? The change that his heads are damaged are actually very small.

First thing I would check is the EGR Cooler. It is more than likely cracked and your dumping coolant into the intake. This over time could lead to a head gasket failure but it doesn't mean your heads are in fact damaged. Personally I would do a complete cooling system flush, EGR delete and put in a new oil cooler.

If you do it all yourself it should run you around $700 and that EGR delete will prolong the life of your engine

Also take the truck to a different Ford dealer and see what they say. 2nd opinions are always a plus!

If you need any help or have any questions please feel free to shoot me a PM or ask away on here and you'll get tons of great advice, just be skeptical of short posts jumping to conclusions.

Oh, and a good set of gauges is crucial. If you had gauges we could determine your oil and coolant temp delta and see if your oil cooler is shot, which would take out the egr cooler and cause you to loose coolant, hence no heat.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:19 PM

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany View Post
Is the EGR deleted? And you need a monitor on this truck ASAP. Let me know if I can help you out with any parts or upgrades you need. Otherwise it sounds like head gaskets are gone. If you click the link in my signature that is my build thread showing how to do head gaskets and studs in your driveway without any major tools.

Darn...you beat me to it Bryan!!!
Old 10-28-2012, 06:21 PM
Banned

lol Mike it's called being "tree'd".
Old 11-16-2012, 06:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Alright well i figured i'd fill you guys in on whats going on. Took the truck to a diesel shop, head gaskets bad, and injector cup is leaking? I have the heads and have to drop them off to be inspected tomorrow. I was talking to the mechanic about the Egr and we both seem to be on the same page about getting the delete kit. Can someone provide me information about the egr delete kit and where to get it? Also while they have my truck torn apart are there any other major things that i should have changed while i have the chance?
Old 11-16-2012, 06:13 PM

Head Gaskets huh,Make sure you put it back together with head studs. I just got the EGR delete from Stealth, but if you do a search they are available all over the place.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:30 PM
Banned

What is the build date on the truck? Early 04 or late 04? If it's a late 04 I would be updating stand pipes and dummy plugs as well as turbo oil feed and drain tubes. If you need a EGR delete kit let me know we have them in stock and can get you hooked up. Also new glow plug wiring harnesses if they aren't putting them in. While they are in there you might want to get a new oil cooler as well or it's very likely that you will clog this one after the work is done and have to do it all over again. Also I would definitely suggest a coolant filter and swapping to EC-1 rated ELC coolant. Also get a monitor in that truck. I can help you out with that as well so just let me know if I can help you out with any of this.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany View Post
What is the build date on the truck? Early 04 or late 04? If it's a late 04 I would be updating stand pipes and dummy plugs as well as turbo oil feed and drain tubes. If you need a EGR delete kit let me know we have them in stock and can get you hooked up. Also new glow plug wiring harnesses if they aren't putting them in. While they are in there you might want to get a new oil cooler as well or it's very likely that you will clog this one after the work is done and have to do it all over again. Also I would definitely suggest a coolant filter and swapping to EC-1 rated ELC coolant. Also get a monitor in that truck. I can help you out with that as well so just let me know if I can help you out with any of this.

I am not sure on the build date of the truck yet, haven't had time to go to the shop to look that up. But if you could definitely hook me up with some links or websites where i can purchase all that stuff you listed it would be much appreciated. This is killing my wallet by i really just want to fix this truck up so i wont have to go through this for a long time to come.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
coolant, f350, heat, idle, leak

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.