No Start - Help!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2012, 09:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation No Start - Help!!

Arrgh!!! For the second week in a row I've experienced a no-start in the morning while 100 miles from home (I'm stuck in Live Oak FL). Last week the temperature dropped into the 50's at night and on Sunday morning the Ex wouldn't start. After trying several things (including disconnecting the ICP sensor) I ended up having to call a flatbed in to take it back to Jacksonville.

Once we got back and got it unloaded (around 2pm) I tried starting it up and it cranked right over (temperatures had risen to 80's at that point). My mechanic went through it and didn't see anything glaring, he cleaned a couple of sensors and fixed a coolant leak, that was it.

This morning I'm experiencing the same problem. Similar temperatures and once again I've got a no start.

The CTS is showing the following codes (same as last week):

P2285 - ICP sensor circuit low

P2623 - ICP regulator / open

I really don't want to have to flatbed the Ex back to Jacksonville again and then have to turn around to pick up the family. Any suggestions? Should it start when it warms up again? Thoughts on the root cause?

Thanks all.

Michael
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2012, 04:36 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok - ended up flatbedding it back to Jacksonville again. Like last time, once we dropped it off the bed of the flatbed it cranked back up again. I'm wondering if this a fuel issue?? There wasn't a code thrown for fuel though. After several seconds of cranking there was no diesel smell at the exhaust.

Is it possible that the fuel filter is clogged and the trip on the flatbed is breaking it loose enough to start?

This is an '05 Ex with a 115K on the clock.

Thanks again...
Old 10-28-2012, 04:39 PM
Serving Our Country!

In my experience, your issues are linked to a bad HPOP. However, normally when that goes bad you wouldn't be able to drive it that far. So, perhaps a bad fuel pump or a lose connector to it.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok - thanks. That's a possibility - the ICP was reading 250psi on crank. It did the same thing last weekend but the readings returned to normal after it started. Maybe a lose fitting or a clogged screen in the HPOP?
Old 10-28-2012, 04:57 PM
Serving Our Country!

Also, take a quick read through this thread.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update

Thank's for the link Matt - I had started off my troubleshooting by reading that thread, its very comprehensive but tough to work through when you aren't at a garage.

So here was the final outcome. I had the truck flat bedded back to Jacksonville (again) where it started right up when we unloaded it from the wrecker. We shut it right down and when we went to start it again a few minutes later the battery wasn't strong enough to turn it over.

The next day it went on a trickle charger and once it was recharged it cranked right up.

We replaced the ICP sensor (it was slugged), the fuel filters (the one next to the heat shield was BLACK!), and changed the oil. We also replaced the screen in the ICP regulator as well as the o-rings. We weren't ever able to actually replicate the problem.

The truck is running quieter but since we don't know if we actually addressed the root cause I'm still a bit nervous about it happening again. My gut tells me it was the ICP sensor and / or the fuel filter issue. Evidently a clogged fuel filter can cause the system to throw HPOP codes.

If anyone thinks I've overlooked anything please let me know!
Old 11-01-2012, 07:57 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

The pcm will never throw a fuel code or actual fuel pressure reading as there are no sensors in the fuel system. Only way to read actual fuel pressure is with a test gauge unles ya have some aftermaket fuel gauge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.