Puking when towing only running vivians tow tune - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2012, 02:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Puking when towing only running vivians tow tune

I've been running the looney tune with no puking issues at all...and I've run it hard...

Today I towed using her tow tune...approx 4000 lbs around 5 miles on fairly flat ground....ansld I pushed it harder than I probably should've...but I noticed I got a small bit of puking ...

Stock bolts...still have the egr...deltas are 8-9*

Any ideas?

Last edited by Adamv7010; 10-27-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2012, 06:04 PM

if youre coolant is a little over full you could see some seepage at the cap. i noticed a little where i did my EGR delete and never adjusted the coolant level. took about 16oz out (i had a water bottle handy) and it dropped it just below the MIN mark. no issues now.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Int.Tech04 View Post
if youre coolant is a little over full you could see some seepage at the cap. i noticed a little where i did my EGR delete and never adjusted the coolant level. took about 16oz out (i had a water bottle handy) and it dropped it just below the MIN mark. no issues now.
Only while using the tow tune? Why not while running the looney tune? And running it hard...

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 10-27-2012, 06:14 PM

that is a good question. maybe one of the others can chime in. only time ive seen the puking was blow head gaskets, over full coolant, or overheating.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:26 PM

9* deta while towing? I wouldn't worry at this point
Old 10-27-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamv7010 View Post
Only while using the tow tune? Why not while running the looney tune? And running it hard...

When my truck started puking it was when I was towing my boat (10,000lbs) to the river, not running through the gears with looney. With looney you're running a lot hotter tune, but for short burst. When towing you're loading the engine less than running through the gears with looney, but a lot longer which builds a ton of heat. The first few times I pulled the boat I used the tow tune and thought the puking was becasue the tow tune was hotter than stock, so I started towing with the stock program and did the same thing.

Mine would only puked while towing until I had my DIY EGR delete hose got against the turbo exhaust housing and burnt a hole in the hose. It got a little and after that it puked all the time. At that point I started buying parts for a headgasket and stud job. Just completed this project last week.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:40 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Adam pull your egr valve and see if your cooler ruptured. If it's mostly dry in the intake manifold I would suspect head gaskets starting to fail or are compromised at this point. If your manifold is dry go to your local auto store and buy cooling system test strips that test for combustion gases in the cooling system and that will give you a difinitive answer as to either gaskets or egr cooler failure.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:46 AM

so bryan if there is no combustion gases in my coolant then my heads might still be good?
my egr valve was soaked... looked like someone dipped it in oil and then re installed it and left it like that until i took it out. i did the egr delete about 600 miles ago but am still getting some blow by, could this just be becuase its overful? once it pressures up coolant drops relatively low, but when i take the cap off, degas bottle will pretty much fill up half full.

would you suggest maybe trying the strips and it they prove good. take a sample and send it into a lab? i dont want to be doing headgaskets if there perfectly fine.

also by my cooler having failed could that have blown my gaskets again even though ford charged $7000 to do it?
Old 10-28-2012, 08:29 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Steve get test strips and test it. Have you flushed the cooling system since the egr failed and leaked? If not you might get a false reading. If so and combustion gases are present and the egr is deleted than your gaskets have failed. Ford charged you $7000 to replace your egr cooler?
Old 10-28-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscany View Post
Adam pull your egr valve and see if your cooler ruptured. If it's mostly dry in the intake manifold I would suspect head gaskets starting to fail or are compromised at this point. If your manifold is dry go to your local auto store and buy cooling system test strips that test for combustion gases in the cooling system and that will give you a difinitive answer as to either gaskets or egr cooler failure.
The weathers chit today. I'm gonna pick up a test kit since that's the easier thing today.

I can't understand why it won't puke running the looney tune and seeing some 25-27 lb boosts.

I wonder if she may have sent an aggressive tow tune by mistake?

I'm not loosing any coolant...I marked my bottle to see over several days...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.