Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Whats wrong with this picture?

5K views 44 replies 14 participants last post by  southend 
#1 ·
My new Bullet Proof water pump was leaking after a couple months so I got a new one under warranty. Pictures attached are a brand new one and the one that came off the truck.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
My truck has a sticker on the fan shroud that says its fitted with an updated front cover use (part number) water pump.

Maybe you have a similar situation.

#5 ·
Yeah, so I guess all that metal is in my newly flushed cooling system, maybe my new oil cooler too. I can't catch a break.

I don't know how the pump, cover assembly looks. Anyone have a link to a diagram?

#6 ·
I can't believe you got it bolted up in the first place. Or am I missing something?

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

#8 ·
I don't do the work on this truck. I've been using a local diesel repair performance shop which has been known for being the best around. I've been having nothing but problems. No exageration the truck has been in the shop for something about every 2-3 weeks since January having a total of 3months downtime this year alone. I don't know what to do. I'm the novice middleman when dealing with the performance part companies and the installers. I just kiss the money goodbye. :(

The truck is going in again for the third time in two weeks this month, this time for injector issues. (new injectors were installed a month or so ago)

If anyoneone is located near me and can help it would be appreciated!

#11 ·
^^^x2........and a monitor on that truck.

#10 · (Edited)
There aren't any other performance oriented shops near me. The closest being Hassler Diesel who is good but its an hour away. Not practical for me. There's people here who will vouch that my shop is reputable. They do specialize in 6.0 repair.

But anyways, I'll contact BPD and see what they say.

#14 ·
I agree with u shouldn't have been able to bolt it up with that much overlap. Maybe the impeller or shaft is walking. That's all I got other than the front cover thing. But the shop should have noticed if it went together that tight!

#16 ·
The shop didn't notice any issues. Also I asked how the coolant looked and he said it was clean, nothing out of the ordinary. The truck has a coolant filter but I'm not sure if those metal particles would hit the oil cooler first.

I called BPD, very friendly and quick with getting me a new pump. They said they need to inspect the old one and we can go from there. They said the metal (alum) on the impeller is very soft and shouldn't have caused any damage to the front cover. I'm more worried about the cooler. They said to keep in touch about any further issues.

I need to get a monitor. I just haven't felt like buying anymore stuff for this truck. I don't even know where to get one or which one I need. I haven't read up on all that. And I don't want to tune my ficm while I'm at it. No more performance related products or altering anything for me. Nothing is working out well for me.

#18 ·
Honestly I thought I was getting into a reliable setup from the start. The idea of staring at a screen all the time then posting numbers here and getting all worried discouraged me. I see it all the time here. I figured build a reliable tow setup with quality performance parts from the start, it should be solid and I shouldn't have to "monitor" it, I just wanna drive it and use it for what I bought it for. But unfortunatly I've had an issue with just about every performance part on this truck. Am I against a monitor, no but it wasn't always a priority I guess. Theres not really much money left for a monitor at this point either.

#22 ·
That's the reason why I leave my trucks 100% bone stuck. The trucks are workhorses no need to make more power to get the job done. :twocents:

#19 ·
You may not have had all these problems if you had a monitor. Has your ficm been checked? I'll bet that's related to your injector issues.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC against my will

#20 ·
Well what kind of monitor do I need? I have four gauges on the pilar where am I supposed to mount it. My dash I going to look like a jet ****pit.

Its a fairly new ficm from quick tricks, 58v non tuned.

#21 ·
Your best bet is to get the scanguage II. I'm not a fan of the overpriced "performance parts". A stock waterpump would last 150k, easy, with minor maintenance.........etc. Your "shop" is more of a problem than your truck. I read it about it all the time.
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/showthread.php?t=259257
I do feel for you man, if I was close by, I'd come by and help you for a beer or two. Most guys enjoy their rides more when we decide to get dirty and tinker around with them. Then you know what you got.

#24 ·
I'll check that link out. Thank you. Once I get a monitor I fear I'll be putting up another post with my off the chart numbers and I'll be starting over from square one. So sometimes I'd rather not know.

My truck has 182k on it. I got the BPD water pump at around 170k.

As far as my shop goes they have actually been telling me to not to buy anything but stock lately. They say most of the stuff out out there is junk. Its causing too many trucks to be unreliable then people come after them like its their problem. Even though they are a performance shop the owner said he is holding off on doing any 6.0 performance work. Its strange how so many people here bash my shop but the guy is known as a diesel god everywhere else. People bring thier trucks from other states to have this place work on them and he does hundreds of stud jobs a year thats gotta say something. I like everyone here and try to learn as much as I can from the site, but I don't know who else to take it to. I really wish I lived closer to some of the people or shops who post here.

#27 ·
I'll check that link out. Thank you. Once I get a monitor I fear I'll be putting up another post with my off the chart numbers and I'll be starting over from square one. So sometimes I'd rather not know.

My truck has 182k on it. I got the BPD water pump at around 170k.

As far as my shop goes they have actually been telling me to not to buy anything but stock lately. They say most of the stuff out out there is junk. Its causing too many trucks to be unreliable then people come after them like its their problem. Even though they are a performance shop the owner said he is holding off on doing any 6.0 performance work. Its strange how so many people here bash my shop but the guy is known as a diesel god everywhere else. People bring their trucks from other states to have this place work on them and he does hundreds of stud jobs a year thats gotta say something. I like everyone here and try to learn as much as I can from the site, but I don't know who else to take it to. I really wish I lived closer to some of the people or shops who post here.
I have to agree with this statement, be careful TOO MUCH HYPE on the internet. The less you mess with the 6.0L the better.

#26 ·
Yea the local shop here is suppose to be the best and has an insane fast diesel 1/4 mile truck that runs like 9's or faster but they don't know squat about 6.0. They know dodge and chev and thats about it i think. I lost all confidence in them when they said my 04 excursion lost fuel economy because of a regen cycle. I smiled nodded and i haven't been back since and then i started reading here much much more. I think the 6.0 is a very unique critter that not many shops have the knowledge to work on. I think most shops hear of the 6.0 rumors and steer away from them and don't put forth much effort to learning about them.

#28 ·
I know how you feel about throwing money at something that you don't even know is a problem. Your shop should have told you that before all of those performance upgrades you should have spent the money on a monitor of some sort. I have a scangauge II and I will never own another 6.0 without one. A monitor will help you diagnose your problems before they become major issues. Do you have an airdog or some kind of fuel pump/filter on that truck? The fuel supply needs to be at the right pressure and very clean for these injectors to work properly. I'm not just talking out my *ss either, I have a 6.0 and I do the work on 5 others that my friends own. This site is a godsend for us 6.0 owners, I search on here all the time. By the way, I'm in West Chester. If you need a second opinion I will gladly help you out.

#29 ·
Your right. I need to get a monitor.

I have an AD2 which is nothing but problems as well. On my second one. Somedays this thing is super loud like its going to blow up some days I dont even hear it. I haven't upgraded the wiring yet. My shop said don't mess with it, figures. My shop disagrees with alot of stuff said here unfortunatly, they usually laugh and say don't believe what you read online.

My Suncoast trans which has already been sent back to florida once and rebuilt is also slipping pretty bad. I can't catch a break. This truck doesn't sled pull or drag race. Occasionaly it gets opened up but I try to be easy on it.

West Chester isn't very far from me.

#30 ·
I guess in all fairness we should not put all the blame on the shop but that mechanic has made a number of seriouse errors in judgement. Next time you may want to request a different tech. Not all techs are equal they all don't have the same training or experience or work ethic.

#31 ·
Next time you may want to request a different tech. Not all techs are equal they all don't have the same training or experience or work ethic.
this i can agree with 100%. being a tech at a International dealership, we have guys that refuse certain jobs, and we have guys that will do anything thats handed to them. several of them want tranny/driveline/brake work only. i know i'll try anything thats handed to me, because thats how you learn. if i have issues, i ask a senior tech.

that definately should have been noticed on that pump. i always check my free play after install. if it wont rotate, youve got a problem.

keep us updated.

#32 ·
My main diesel shop did the original install. A few months ago, during my second stud job. They said the pump moved freely upon install and could be verified by when they put the belt on, they would have noticed something. I deveolped a leak and took it to a closer shop. They first took the front cover off and reinstalled it, the leak went away for about a day then started leaking again. So we determined it was the pump. They put the pump in for free because the mechanic said maybe he mis diagnosed it. It was hard to see exatly where the leak was originating from. I called them as soon as I saw the old pump. They said everything was free when it was installed, again they said they would have noticed when the belt went on.

The pump is in the mail to BPD. I really worried about the metal in the engine now. Not running a BPD cooler. I have a coolant filter but I don't know if its installed so it catches the metal before it hits the cooler. BPD said the soft metal shavings should be okay. They said it has happened on a couple rare occasions. I couldnt afford one of their coolers. They said once its inspected they will let me know. I have my fingers crossed.

#33 ·
Any suggestions on what I should do? Waiting on bullet proof diesel to get back to me. Should I be flushing and doing a new oil cooler asap?

I wish i knew more local people from here I'm really upset over all of this! This truck is my livelyhood.

#34 ·
If your oil temps were ok before you discovered this, I wouldnt lose any sleep over the oil cooler. How does the front cover behind the pump look, is bpd considering helping you get that repaired if it is bad. You wonder if their product is at fault for any damage, just wondering?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.