Coolant pushing out degas bottle - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2012, 10:47 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coolant pushing out degas bottle

I have a 2005 f250 with a 6.0L, I recently flushed my coolant and now it's pushing out the cap of the degas bottle. It's not saturating anything, but I can tell, for sure, that it has been pushing out the cap. The cap is not bowed I've checked it several times, my heads are good, I am wondering what would cause this, the coolant shows signs of dirt/oil in it from the oil cooler so I have decided to replace that and run a bypass filtration kit from sinister for my coolant, at my next oil change. My main reason for posting is to find out why the coolant is pushing out from the degas bottle cap. Thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2012, 11:32 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

You overfilling it by any chance, the newest approved fill level is about 3/8 in. below the molded min. Another adjustment by ford.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:28 PM

It looked level with the "new improved" ford sticker measuring level
Old 10-17-2012, 01:59 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
How do you know that your head gaskets are GOOD? Did you test for combustion gasses in the cooling system or do a pressure test in the system? A blown oil cooler won't cause puking unless its dumping a TON of oil in the system effectively overfilling it and causing it to puke. Sounds to me if you have an EGR delete your looking at a head gasket job.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:36 PM

The sticker is now obsolete the new level is just below the origional min line.
Next year they will tell us not to get any in the bottle at all instead of fixing the actual cause.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:32 PM

mine sits just below the min mark when cold, and then sits between min/max when at operating temp. never pushes coolant out or loses coolant. if youre pusing coolant out, you definately have something pressurizing youre cooling system. if youre seeing oil in the coolant, DO NOT wait until your next oil change.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:00 AM

Heads are fine, they've been tested on more than one occasion in the past year and a half. My coolant level was a little bit too full, so i took some out, and it didn't push any coolant after this. Another question....Do you have to drop your oil to replace the oil cooler?
Old 10-18-2012, 01:51 PM
Premium Member

could be your coolant cap is bad...
Old 10-18-2012, 02:38 PM

While it is not 100% necessary it is adviseable to keep from getting it contaminated.
If it is relatively new oil just drain it in a clean pan and pour into a clean 5 gal bucket.
Remember it holds 15 qts so use a suitable container.

When you pull the oil cooler out you will find it sits in a resivoir of oil you need to suck that out and clean or replace the screen with the metal upgraded one as well as the resivoir. Be shure and get all debri and if you wipe with a rag make shure you get all the rag fuzz off. A small shop vac works well, you just may not want to use it for anything else after this. I keep one just for stuff like this a little 1 gal. one.

As far as a upgrade pump I do not know if Ford still has any of theirs but you may be able to find a aftermarket one. In 05 they went to a totally different pump and a redesigned block to accomodate the pump the are not interchangeable.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:26 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I was having the same problem and I lucked out - it was a bad cap, I had the original one still on the bottle. Got the new updated cap from Ford for $10.50, replaced a dry rotted upper radiator hose and haven't had a problem since. Now, to knock on some wood...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.