2004 Powerstroke Very Rought Idle on cold Start and light blue smoke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 08:21 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2004 Powerstroke Very Rought Idle on cold Start and light blue smoke

Ok so here is whats going on, about this time last year i noticed that my truck was taking longer to start than normal. Well after living with it for 6 months I had a very rough idle when cold and also a missing when warm, 3
injectors went out (4,5,6), so i replaced them.
Well about two days after replacing the injectors it started having long cranks till start and very rough idle, as well as bucking and jerking under light throttle until engine reached full temp. I started searching forums and never really found anyone with the exact same issues or that the issues didn't clear up, so I started to replace parts to try to correct the issue.

Please note that this entire time the truck has only shown a CE light once, noted below.

Below is the list of parts that i have replaced/upgraded so far in chronological order all issues still remain and have not changed at all:

All filters and fluids
Injectors - same 3 as before
Blue Spring Fuel Regulator Upgrade
Replaced MAP Sensor
Cleaned MAF Sensor
FICM Roll Back Tuning by Innovative Diesel
FICM Full Board Inspection and Resolder
FICM 10k Upgrade
Exhaust Back Pressure Sensor
Cleaned VGT
Replaced all 8 injectors- got a injector circuit low Cylinder 4, just 1 month after replacing the last three.

Below is a snap shot of the cylinder contribution test i ran after the truck set for 12 hours today at 80* outside after engine idled for 2 mins.

Below is a snap shot of the cylinder contribution test after it running 5 mins.

Below is a snap shot of the cylinder contribution test after it running 10 mins.

And finally here is a snap shot of various sensors that i felt pertained to the issue, after the truck ran for 15 mins. (besides for injection pressure being higher i.e. 1000#, and engine oil at start up was at 79* all other sensors were unchanged from start up)

Well thats all the info i have for now, if anyone has any ideas or wants to see some other data please let me know. I'm at my wits end with this truck its just not reliable.

Last edited by wickednnk; 10-18-2012 at 05:14 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2012, 12:01 PM
Premium Member

Ok so I think I narrowed the blue smoke down to turbo failing, tore apart turbo and have oil inside compressor housing cover. But I still have no clue on the idle or missing, friend said it might be IPR but just wanna make sure first.

Anyone have any input at all?!?!?
Old 10-18-2012, 05:04 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Make sure your ficm connectors are seated well. Do you have a monitor? Who repaired your ficm?

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:30 AM
Premium Member

I seated all three till they clicked, I even tried to pull them out after I installed them without squeezing the tabs and couldn't remove them. I do have AE as a monitor, that's how I got the screen shots. I don't know if I uploaded the pictures right I don't know if they are visible to everyone or not. Please let me know if you can see them, looking at the post this morning on my phone I can't see them.
I repaired the FICM myself, I did the basic resolder that is all over the forum as well as reflowed solder on some 20 odds joints on top of the board that looked questionable. I also upgraded the caps to 63v when I did the 10k resistor mod on the board.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:41 AM
Premium Member

I do apologize, obviously you have a monitor, i'm following other threads. Lol. I believe you have the symtoms of a failing ficm, I know thats not what you want to hear. Have you checked your fuel pressure, do you have the blue spring update?

Old 10-18-2012, 06:02 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southend View Post
I do apologize, obviously you have a monitor, i'm following other threads. Lol. I believe you have the symtoms of a failing ficm, I know thats not what you want to hear. Have you checked your fuel pressure, do you have the blue spring update?

Yes I do have the blue spring update, I have not checked fuel pressure yet though.
I was thinking it was FICM related, I have been trying to find someone locally that has one that we could swap in and see.

The only thing that is making me question it is that when you start it after it has set all night it acts like it has no oil in the rails you have to crank for about 20-30 sec the whole time it acts like its trying to start almost like an old carb gas motor with the choke off. I will try and upload a video of it this weekend.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:18 AM
Premium Member

I believe it is a good idea to verify fuel pressure after the install. Cold hard starts are overwhelmingly attributed to ficm failures. Ed @ ficmrepair.com has great feedback. If you are concerned about hpo leaks, monitor ipr, and icp while cranking and running. Your batteries should be load tested anytime you suspect ficm, or need to replace it.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:31 AM
Premium Member

After looking back at my HPOP system data here on my Excel spreadsheet I really don't think its oil related. Desired injector pressure and actual pressure follow each other by no more than 5# delta. The only reason I really questioned it was because when I disconnected the ICP it would start after 5 sec but sound like a rod knocking. I will check with ed and try to send in my FICM next week. Heck for his price you can't beat it, I just don't wanna keep spending money to repair or replace things that arent broken!
Old 10-18-2012, 06:35 AM
Premium Member

Yes, I understand that, maybe your hearing injector knock, from improperly functioning ficm, or fuel pressure problems? It can be hideous sometimes. Also, alot of us run rotella t6 oil. Make sure you have motorcraft filters with matching caps too.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:47 AM
Premium Member

I run Royal Purple 15 w40 pretty much year ound since we don't really get below 30* here. And I also run WIX oil filters with the taller filter as well as motorcraft fuel filters that have the little membrane on them.

I will try to get the fuel pressure its running both at KOEO and at KOER, this weekend when I get off location.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2004, blue smoke, powerstroke 6.0, rough idle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.