new to diesels..quick question - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 07:57 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
new to diesels..quick question

hello all,
id like to give you all info first. this is my first diesel. 2006 f250 .. i know its the dreaded 6.0 but i feel like its got a bad rap. i actually just bought this truck over a week ago and when i test drove it i fell in love with it. well when i picked it up to take it home i had a tbc fault show then about 3 miles down the road the check engine light came on. truck seemed to run fine. i called the dealer and they said well take care of it. but before i took it back i took it to my mechanic to find out what was the CEL. and it was the EGR. but no problems running. so it was with them for 4 days (waiting on a modual and controller for the tbc fault) so fast forward to today. i called and yep good to go. i said ok..truck drove fine again.. i didnt even put 30 miles and CEL again..starting to wonder if i bought a lemon ..if the code pops up as a egr again. what do u all think it could be? il try to get more info later if i can
thanks
Jeremy

newbie here just bare with me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2012, 02:50 PM

had it checked got code p0401...egr...problem matic?
Old 10-16-2012, 06:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Location: The place where the 2nd amendment is considered illegal.
First of all, Welcome to the forum.

The bad reputation of the 6.0L isn't deserved, the engine is a piece of art if you ask me. (at least for me). If you're getting an EGR code probably the EGR valve is stuck closed or stuck open (too much soot will lead to the failure of the valve, is very easy to fix and clean. Keep us informed of the new codes (if any). SOMETIMES if your fuel filters get too dirty or clogged will trow a CEL (believe me, it happened to me once) so is good idea to change those filters too if you haven't done already. What about the engine oil and filter? You changed the oil & filter? The powerstroke require LOT MORE maintenance than a gas engine.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:31 AM

Not sure what your mechanic checked but as this truck is used ... Are you sure it even has an egr still? Could have been deleted which on some trucks will throw a code

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Old 10-17-2012, 06:42 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You sound a lot like me... I also just purchased my first diesel this past Sept. and it happened to be an 06' F250. I paid a bit more than I wanted to but it was from a highly reputable dealer and, compared to the cheaper trucks I looked at, the cleanest and most "legit looking" F250 to pick.

Nelson is right, these trucks require a strict maintenance regimen. I did some homework when I bought mine but honestly I didn't do enough. Since I bought my truck, I've spent close to a grand just catching up maintenance and doing essentials like the mods listed in my sig. NOTHING on these trucks is cheap, even an oil change (Rotella T6 w/MC filters) is $100 to do yourself. if you're handy and don't mind getting greasy and turning wrenches, you'll be okay. If you can't, I hope you have a good paying job.

Before this truck I owned 5.4 F150's, which were pretty much maintenance-free rides.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:03 AM
Premium Member

I'm not a person with a tuner, so, those of you that do, would you return your truck to stock program before trading it in?

If so, maybe this guys 06 had a tune to deal with the EGR that has been deleted (as was suggested above).

hillbilly-f250, you need to look in the motor area and see if the EGR vale and cooler are still in there. Someone also could have done a sneaky delete, welded plugs into the ends of the EGR cooler.

Here is a picture over head shot of the motor.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:28 PM

thanks for all the replys and thank u for the welcome.. i just got home from work and the dealer called and said the egr was faulty itself.. when i get it back i will do a double take to see if the egr was deleted.. i kinda knew that this truck was goin to be more maintance but not as much as im coming to find out as fordtrucktexas found out.. but thats ok.. i dont mind getting greasy and dirty ( im a mechanic in the coal mines) .. im coming from a f150 myself.. but there is alot i want to do but gonna have to wait..other than the egr this truck is really nice. clean inside.. and seems to run real good...thanks again il keep yall posted if anything changes..
Jeremy
PS very informative site here..been doing alot of reading and goin to keep reading to find out more on this truck thanks again
Old 10-17-2012, 01:40 PM

Location: The place where the 2nd amendment is considered illegal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly-f250 View Post
thanks for all the replys and thank u for the welcome.. i just got home from work and the dealer called and said the egr was faulty itself.. when i get it back i will do a double take to see if the egr was deleted.. i kinda knew that this truck was goin to be more maintance but not as much as im coming to find out as fordtrucktexas found out.. but thats ok.. i dont mind getting greasy and dirty ( im a mechanic in the coal mines) .. im coming from a f150 myself.. but there is alot i want to do but gonna have to wait..other than the egr this truck is really nice. clean inside.. and seems to run real good...thanks again il keep yall posted if anything changes..
Jeremy
PS very informative site here..been doing alot of reading and goin to keep reading to find out more on this truck thanks again
I'm glad the dealer is taking care of your truck. Don't blame the 6.0L maybe the previous owner never serviced the truck as required but now is in good hands. You will enjoy your new truck.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:46 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly-f250 View Post
Jeremy
Remember you're looking for the EGR cooler to be deleted, not the valve itself.

This is what it looks like

This is where it is

I'm still wrapping my mind around what all has to be done for the 6.0 to be reliable, but it seems to be worth it for now.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:12 PM

update..picked the truck today and 1/2 way home CEL back on...same code as the other times..gonna drop it off sat again..said they would pay for the delete if the problem keeps ariving but i would have to install..proably not gonna happen..kinda dishearting but atleast they are holding there part of the deal so far..let u know later..? what tuner is the way to go if i delete the egr...would like to have something with a screen that i can moniter atleast ect and eot and delete the egr...also found out this is a califorina emissions can i still delete?
thanks for any info
Jeremy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.