Bad injector break a pushrod? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2012, 09:35 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bad injector break a pushrod?

Would a bad injector and a rough idle cause a push rod or roller rocker to break? The rough idle is only when cold and first start of the day. It sort of lopes for 2 minutes with smoke. Im getting contribution balance cylinder 1. Im running a new long block the last one broke a push rod or lifter or rocker cant remember which but whatever it is that rides on the cam and sends metal through the low pressure pump when it breaks.

I figured the contribution balance was the broken push rod but im still getting the code with the new engine and i dont want the same thing to happen again. They reused all my old injectors and im assuming they installed them in the same order which is giving me the same code on the same cylinder. The truck is a 2003 6.0 automatic. The truck always had the code and the idle problem the reason i brought it into the shop is it developed a popping out the intake (exhaust was coming back out the air filter) Considering im getting the same code and the cold idle problem im pretty sure the #1 injector is failing. It just seems odd that the same cylinder the injector is failing on broke a push rod. I dont want a repeat occurrence.

Last edited by rabid85; 10-14-2012 at 09:39 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2012, 10:32 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Load test your batteries, and peform ficm check procedure.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The injector has no push rod only the valves have push rods.

You probably have a ficm or ficm harness issue meaning electrical. The injectors are electronicaly controled [solenoid valves] and activated/moved by oil pressure.If you kept the same ficm and wireing that may be why your problem followed from engine to engine.

The fault could be pcm related also. You need it scanned on live data to see what is going on.

If
Old 10-14-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy950 View Post
The injector has no push rod only the valves have push rods.

You probably have a ficm or ficm harness issue meaning electrical. The injectors are electronicaly controled [solenoid valves] and activated/moved by oil pressure.If you kept the same ficm and wireing that may be why your problem followed from engine to engine.

The fault could be pcm related also. You need it scanned on live data to see what is going on.

If
I have a general idea of how the injectors work i know it wasnt anything physical from the actual injector it was something that let loose in the head. But could the bad injector cause some type of higher cylinder pressure that would damage something in the head.

I replaced the batteries before it went into the shop but they did sit for a few months while the repairs were being done.

I have a sct x3 it has data logging capabilities is there anything in there i should look at. I guess i will find out how to check the ficm and see if maybe thats my problem. Considering its still the #1 cylinder it could be something with the wiring i dont see how likely it was they put the same injector back into cylinder 1.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:21 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
probably all a coincidence. Seriously, with a catastropic failure like a failed lifter and the LPOP ingesting needle bearings I'd would have recommended you replace all of the fuel injectors. Any time metal is in the oil it has the potential to end up in the injector spool valves.

I would put an injector in it and go from there. A bad injector isn't going to cause any issues other than maybe a cylinder wall washdown or melted piston.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.