Mystery Issue, Need Help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2012, 07:37 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mystery Issue, Need Help

This is an email that I just sent ficmrepair.com. I am at my wits end with this truck and I need some help.

Hello. I have a question for you about my FICM. Basically I use my truck to make my living and I can not rely on it any more. I have searched the forums and posted and still have not been able to figure out the problem so I figured I would ask you before I burn this thing to the ground. I have a 2006 f450 with 125,000 miles. I will start from the beginning so you know all the facts.

When I bought the truck it was completely stock with 118,000 miles. It ran good until one day when it would not rev above 2000 rpm. I eventually figured out it was the fuel filter that was completely clogged. Then one day about 4 months ago after doing an egr delete, oil cooler, coolant flush, blue spring upgrade, and banjo bolts I was pulling away from an intersection and I could feel it start to miss or run a little rough. From then on it would always have a rough idle but it would run like a banshee for a little while and then without warning it would lose power and run rough. This would happen from time to time and then clear up like nothing ever happened. It would clear up usually after turning the truck off for 10 to 15 minutes. Also my fuel mileage went from about 13 to 15 highway to about 6. I purchased a scangauge so I could monitor the ficm voltage among other things. The truck had no codes come up, no smoke coming out the pipe, and the ficm voltage never drops below 48v. I pulled the ficm just to see what it looked like inside but after inspecting it, it didn't look bad from what I thought. This went on for the rest of the time until last week when I broke down about 100 miles from home. It started out the same way it has been happening but this time it just shut down completely. I could get it started but it was extremely rough like it was only firing on 2 cylinders and this time there was clouds of white smoke coming out the tail pipe that smelled of unburned diesel. And it kind of sounded like it might be hydro locking when cranking so I just had it towed home. My question to you is, could it be the ficm? Or does it sound like injectors or maybe the wiring harness? Or could it be something I have not thought of yet? Any help would be greatly appreciated. From reading the forums, you are highly recommended. Thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2012, 10:26 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I think you have a fuel contamination issue affecting injector performance.
There are 2 filters on a 6.0 1 on top the engine and 1 on the fuelpump filter assembley called the HFCM.

The F350 and up trucks some had fuel tank delamination issues. A coating in the tank would seperate from the tank and break into all size pieces, from fine dust to to pieces as big as a sheet of paper or so I have found in some instances.
Some of the particles are small enough to pass thru both filters and get in the fuel rails themselves and get into the injectors them selves.

If that happens the only cure is injector replacement and thorough flushing of the fuel rails. Also replaceing the tank.

Last edited by dannyboy950; 10-13-2012 at 10:28 AM. Reason: because I fergot sumthin
Old 10-13-2012, 02:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks dannyboy, when I replaced the hfcm filter it was completely clogged to the point where it was sucking the element in on itself. I replaced both filters at that point but the filter on top of the engine was clean. The material that came out of the filter looks more like rust particles and grinding dust. The company I bought the truck from was a big welding company and they have they're own in ground tank that they fill the trucks with. I'm guessing thats how the filter got clogged up. I will check the tank but I didn't see any delamanation particles in the filter.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Actually, if all I have to do is injectors I will be happy.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Well I got the injectors out. Most of them were wet on the tips when I pulled them out of the head. Two of them were cleaner than the others and one was completely covered in soot. The others had a lot of build up right around the holes in the tips. I want to suck out any diesel that is down in the cylinders and do a compression test. How do you do a compression test with the HP oil rail off? Won't it squirt oil all over the place? What do you guys think of Warren Diesel? I have read some good things about them and I want to do the stock+ injectors.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:26 AM

Subscribed ... Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Old 11-10-2012, 05:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Update. Today I got my injectors back from Warren Diesel. Jess is a great guy as most of you know by now. Anyway I was not 100% sure that the injectors were the problem in the first place but I sent them to Warren anyway. I spoke with him on the phone and I asked him if my injectors could be beyond repair. He assured me that they would be fine and very rarely are they unable to be fixed.
Mind you that this is my work truck, my bread and butter, my money maker that has been down for a month now because I had to save enough money to do all this stuff. I've been using a (very generous) friends truck to get my jobs done in the meantime.
So today I went out and got a breather o-ring, both motorcraft fuel filters, motorcraft oil filter, and $110 worth of Rotella T6 synthetic 5w-40 oil. I installed my injectors and all of the rest of the stuff. When I pulled the frame mounted filter it was pretty clogged up again. It has only been 3500 miles since I changed it the last time. I'll have to keep changing it with every oil change until it clears up I guess. I took a lot of time looking around and making sure the wiring harness was in good shape and everything looked okay. So I finally got everything done and fired it up. I took a while for the high pressure oil to fill the oil logs back up. I had to hook my battery charger up because the battery's were running down. I was watching my scangauge while cranking and after a little while I saw the ICP start going up. As soon as it got to about 400 it fired up. Man, I was pretty excited because it sounded like it used to when I bought it. Smooth and even. I drove it around for a while and it ran perfectly.
So I guess the problem was my injectors the whole time. Im sure they went bad because the first time the filter was clogged up. The combination of low fuel pressure and contaminated fuel was more than enough to kill them. I know now to keep up on that. I want to thank everyone on this site for sharing their knowledge. And Warren Diesel for hooking me up with their awsome service. If there is one thing I'm sure about, its that I will be back on here searching for the next answer to the 6.0 saga. Good luck.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:25 PM

If your fuel filter is clogging up within 3500 miles I would drop the tank and clean it before you wipe out your new injectors. Low fuel pressure from a clogged filter WILL damage your injectors. If the inside of your tank is rusting and that is the source of your rust clogging your filters your tank has already delaminated and needs to be replaced.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:54 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Let me rephrase myself. The filter was dirty, not clogged up like the first time. But you are right. I haven't thought that the tank might already be delamanated. I will get on that right away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.