Buying a 550 dump - no smoke on start up, little white smoke when warmed up - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 06:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Buying a 550 dump - no smoke on start up, little white smoke when warmed up

Wahts up, long time no see but I need a little help from you experienced 6.bro guys

just like the title says, I want to buy a 550 dump truck. 2004 -97k miles - no smoke on start up(watched the mirror when cranking it up cold), but i took it around the block, got up to about 40mph, edge insight was reading approx 189 190 on eot and ect, everything was great til I got back to the yard and was talking to the owner while the truck was still running. there was a little white smoke coming out of the tailpipe when it was warmed up. The owner isn't knowledgeable on the 6.0s but suggested it was because the truck has been sitting for months.

Carfax and Oasis say that it had the tank, injectors, and pump done at 40k miles due to the lining of the chassis cab trucks coming loose and clogging everything. warranty ended at 50 k so from then til 97k there is nothing listed but safe to say not much else was done. all fluids and filters recently done.

I spoke to 1 diesel mechanic and he said it could be dirty EGR, cracked EGR, or head gaskets. the first two I will buy the truck in a heartbeat ($14k) and do an egr delete and coolant filter but if its heads I dont want to get involved unless its free or damn close to it.

the truck pulls hard, sounds great, and isn't throwing any codes.
unfortunately I can't get on the highway and wind it out to really read the ect eot since it isn't registered or insured, maybe if I show up with the cash he will let me?

just need a starting point to determine if its the heads or the egr. maybe I'm thinking too far into it but I know the 6.0s can be great trucks if they don't blow up and bankrupt you

a pic for motivation

can you say CLEAN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2012, 06:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

just spoke to another mechanic, he said watch for bubbles in the reservoir and that there is no other way to tell besides getting into the motor, not what I wanted to hear.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
To me when I look at buying a truck is how well will it do the job I want and how bad do I need it as opposed to initial cost and any immediate need for repairs and their cost.

Factor in these costs as opposed to what else may be available and my time frame of need to get it working.

In this case I think you need not worry about head gaskets but you can check for combustion gas with the test strips. The light smokeing can well be from sitting up.
Hard to judge without being there.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

It will do the job and i do need it but if it needs a week of $5k repairs i might as well go to the dealer and get a new one with a warranty.

What are the test strips? Sounds like a good idea.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 10-11-2012, 03:46 PM

Napa sells some test strips that detect combustion gas. Be shure they are the ones for the gas as they sell some for antifreeze content and ph. There is also a tester thats uses a fluid that changes color when combustion gas is present in the coolant.

You sample the gas in the degas bottle not the coolant itself with the fluid tester.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Awesome thanks. I'll try and locate some tomorrow

Old 10-12-2012, 05:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

So run the truck, open the bottle and wave the strip around in the air in the bottle?

Old 10-15-2012, 02:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Couldnt find them at advance. Any brand name? The counter guy had no clue what i was talking about but thats normal haha

Old 10-15-2012, 03:59 PM

Napa is the only place around here and ya have to order em.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.