White smoke when cold. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 07:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
White smoke when cold.

So yeah, been noticing my truck has some white smoke coming out the tailpipe, its not a HUGE amount like you can't see through it but it's definitely noticeable.

Mainly when its cold do I see the most but even warm when I "blip" the throttle quickly it gives a small puff.

I was leaning towards maybe egr issue? I can't tell what it smells like because I guess I don't have a lot of knowledge with coolant smells...but it doesn't smell "sweet" and it doesn't smell like diesel.

It does have a bad smell to it though that I can't stand breathing in for more than 5 seconds. Blows into the cab when windows are down and about makes you wanna get out just so you can breathe.

Any ideas? Gonna take it in for diagnostics when I can, but kinda wanted a right direction if possible?

It's an early 04, and I heard if I delete the egr I don't need to tune it since its an early 04.

If it's a headgasket issue, which I have no idea if it could be...what are the chances of dealers just using the ARP headstuds that I provide? Seems it would do more good than harm. Anyone?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2012, 06:07 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Load test your batteries, check ficm.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:05 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maalakai View Post
So yeah, been noticing my truck has some white smoke coming out the tailpipe, its not a HUGE amount like you can't see through it but it's definitely noticeable.

Mainly when its cold do I see the most but even warm when I "blip" the throttle quickly it gives a small puff.

I was leaning towards maybe egr issue? I can't tell what it smells like because I guess I don't have a lot of knowledge with coolant smells...but it doesn't smell "sweet" and it doesn't smell like diesel.

It does have a bad smell to it though that I can't stand breathing in for more than 5 seconds. Blows into the cab when windows are down and about makes you wanna get out just so you can breathe.

Any ideas? Gonna take it in for diagnostics when I can, but kinda wanted a right direction if possible?

It's an early 04, and I heard if I delete the egr I don't need to tune it since its an early 04.

If it's a headgasket issue, which I have no idea if it could be...what are the chances of dealers just using the ARP headstuds that I provide? Seems it would do more good than harm. Anyone?

Thanks!
I had the same thing with my 04 but I didn't have the white smoke but I had the smell when my egr cooler finally failed it was solid white smoke now the trick is when you do the egr delete if the egr valve is still functional you replace it when you put in the delete so you will have no service light come on I had a friend of mine who is a ford mechanic do the work on my truck he has done that many times with the delete and has worked well. We went with ford oem head gasket arp head studs egr delete parts cost me 1800 and I was 1000 in labor it is recommended that while you have it torn down to do the head gasket and studs since he said its just a matter of time till the head bolts fail if you need help finding the parts message me there is a company I felt with out of Tennessee who I got my parts through and the will send you oem gaskets if you want and they were great to work with
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.