injecter hold downs - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 06:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
injecter hold downs

I have a 03 f350. I put a motor in it from asheville rebuilder. It keep hydro locking on cylinder 6. Had all 8 injectors tested and they were all good. My mechanic said head was bad on the driver side. Replaced head and start it up and then it hydro locked on cylinder numbed 1 and 3. I sent the driver head back to Asheville engine rebuilders and they said it had a crack. We pulled the passenger head off and working on getting it back together. I called asheville to see if they had tested the passenger side head. And he changed his story and said the driver head was not crack and that I had the wrong injector hold downs. Did ford have different hold downs and could hold downs cause the injector to hydro lock a cylinder thanks for any feed back
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2012, 04:16 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
yes they did have different hold downs. 2003 thru early 2006 heads have T40 hold downs and late 06-07 heads have T45 hold downs. They are in a different position in the head and cannot be interchanged or the injector will not seat properly.

The difference is referred to "commonized" and "pre-commonized" cylinder heads. I am not sure how you can tell right away which head you have(other than the hold downs which obviously you don't know which ones you need), I need to look into that or maybe someone else will chime in.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:15 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Failing to properly seat the injector, either with the wrong hold downs, or by under / over torque (too much torque stretches the bolt) will cause it to back out. After the injector backs out, it dumps diesel into the cylinder. This makes a huge white smoke cloud that can be mistaken for a egr cooler that's blown. Once the engine stops it hydrolocks with fuel.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:45 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

This engine was sold to someone and installed at a shop that did not even put washers and o-rings in with the injectors when the engine was replaced. The truck was then sold and taken to another shop which figured that problem out but then diagnosed an oil leak where the block is split. We had two techs (myself included) travel down to inspect the problem only to find that the oil pan was bent and the pan gasket leaking. The truck was then taken to a third shop which diagnosed "a cracked head". After much discussion to determine that the mechanic went thru the proper steps to diagnose the problem, I personally took a head down to the shop (my 5 yr old grandson lives 1 mile from the shop so I was picking him up). After it was installed, they called to say the second head was also cracked. I took them another head and when I went back to pick up the old one, I personally inspected the injectors. Several injectors had combustion evidence running up them and I determined that the injectors were not seated properly. I determined that the first shop had installed the wrong injector hold downs in the engine which caused all of us to spend a lot of time and money that didn't need to be spent. I sent a complete set of 8 injector hold downs to the shop for installation [/B]at no charge even though I was well within my right to charge the retail price of $45. each!
Not only did we honor our warranty but we went out of our way to make sure that this customer was taken care of even though it was determined at the end that none of our workmanship or parts were defective.
It never ceases to amaze me that the people that you go out of you're way to help the most seem to be the ones who complain.

Last edited by AshevilleEngine.com; 10-30-2012 at 07:44 AM.
Old 10-30-2012, 07:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It is funny to me that when we replaced the first head the truck stopped hydro locking. On that side then it starting to do it on the other side. And when I called the owner of Asheville rebuilders he said his machine shop found a crack in it. I called a week later and he changed his story.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.