Rough Idle - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 07:27 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rough Idle

OK I have tried doing my own research but I just can't get this one licked. I have an 05' F-250 6.0L. My truck runs fine (usually), cranks up fine (except once), and overall runs well. The only problem really is idling. In park and sometime in drive while at a dead stop, my RPM's will surge. They will go up and down. Not by alot but maybe about 500 rpms up or down back and forth. I have found that it is usually worse once my truck warms up. This has only happened one time but I went to start my truck one time and the starter just kept going and going but it wouldn't turn over. After about 3 tries it cranked right up. Then another time I put my pedal to the floor and my truck just wouldn't go and then it finally kicked in a took off. But like I said above, these 2 things only happened one time. And sometimes my truck will idle fine and other times it runs like sh*t. Just like the other day I unplugged my batteries for 10 minutes just to see what would happen. Boom, it worked. Truck ran totally great for 2 days but this morning it started it's crap again. My guesses are ICP sensor, or a bad FICM. Help me out boys. What do I need to check? How do I go about checking it? I don't just want to start throwing hundreds of dollars in parts at it or taking it to the dealership especially since it does run and gets me from point A to point B but I don't want to be on the side of the road one day. Please help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2012, 09:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Mine had the same surge only at idle. New oil all motorcraft filters cleaned egr valve, And it was random. Took truck on 1900 mile trip towing enclosed trailer with bike did it thru first tank. After that truck never ran better. Right down to the charge on batteries while driving. Just throwing that out there, may need a nice long working haul.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Could be. I have been giving it hell lately with the pedal to the floor just trying to see if I can blow any crap out that might be in there. I have also changed the oil and filter, both fuel filters, and ran a system check through the OBD II. No check engine light and it isn't throwing any codes. Says the EGR is good too but I currently have an EGR delete on the way. Also this weekend I will being removing the cat and muffler. I might as well do it now because Im going to do it in the future anyways. Anybody else have any suggestions?! Im open to try anything
Old 10-11-2012, 05:22 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Sounds like icp problems to me. Do you have a monitor?

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
ficm, icp sensor, rough idle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.