Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Rubber Smell (not burning) in Cab

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  jemarine 
#1 ·
Here is my problem which usually only occurred while I was towing. I get this rubber smell (think new bicycle tube out of the box) in the cab of the truck when I am hard on the gas mostly hills. It is not a burning smell, but just a new bicycle tire smell. It goes away when I get off the gas. It happened this past weekend when I wasn't towing, but in some steep grades for extended periods of time. Any thoughts? I did replace the EGR valve a few months ago, but nothing recent.

#2 ·
I had the same thing happening in my truck. Even when my windows were up and just cruising i got that smell. I havent noticed it anymore but it was a weird inner tube smell. Any body think they can shine some light on this situation?

#3 ·
I was just comming back from a trip with the trailer and my wife noticed the same thing. I got out of the truck and took a closer sniff to see if I could pin it down, but came up empty handed. I even popped the hood, still nothing. We haven't smelt it since. I thought it might have been the trailer breaks some how but there's no way we could have smelt that going down the highway.

#6 ·
This is exactly what mine was doing the last time my EGR cooler went out. You should have your cooling system pressure tested to ensure that isn't the problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.