FICM problems? help! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2012, 08:02 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
FICM problems? help!

I have an 06 PSD with 5 inch and innovative tunes, been having a problem for about 2 months now and its progressivly getting worse please help if you can. it started out with a rough start and for about the first mile it would run rough almost like a bad miss and then clear right up and be fine for the rest of the day, 2 months later its starting better and running rough almost all the time between 1600 and 2200 rpms its running like its on 6 or 7 cylinders and will only clear up after about an hour of driving ive checked the ficm volts a couple times and seem to be fine right around 48.5 all the time. im going to check them again tomorrow while im driving but any other ideas would be great thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2012, 12:43 PM

ok so i ran a scanner on the truck this morning from a cold start, my FICM volts were 47.2 at start up and went from a range between 46.4 at times to 47.9 was the highest i saw, would this cause the symptons im having. and also the warmer the truck got the better it a ran and higher the FICM volts went.

any advise would be greatly appreciated im goin on a road trip next week and need this fixed thanks guys
Old 10-07-2012, 01:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
It definitely sounds like your FICM is on its way out but I suspect you have some other problems as well; possibly some injector stiction?

Are you running a full synthetic oil?

Are you running any fuel additives?
Old 10-07-2012, 01:07 PM

I am thinking more along the lines of striction issue. As your oil warms up it also thins and flows better unsticking the solenoids that are not working properly. This then levels out the rough running.

The ficm voltage increase may just be incidental and not part of the problem.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:29 PM

i run amsoil 15-40 and change every 5k miles, and ive run stanadyne every time i fill up since ive owned it 2 years ago, any other suggestions? how can i test my injectors
Old 10-07-2012, 01:50 PM

i should also add that at an idol it runs fine, only does this under a load
Old 10-07-2012, 05:56 PM

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
If your not throwing any codes than I don't know what's going on. The only way to test injectors is to hook the truck up to IDS or something similar and run some tests on it to see for sure. Looks like you might have to take it to Ford for this one. They usually charge around $100 but a diagnosis then go from there. Just remember, if you do go to the dealer make sure you ask to see everything in writing. Have them show you the test results, talk to the tech, etc. to make sure everything is legit. Also just because the dealer says XYZ is the problem doesn't mean it is. Check back with us before you do anything.

Is that Amsoil 15W-40 your running a full synthetic? It might be worth a shot to run a good 5W-40 Rotella T6 or something if the sort along with some Rev-X and see if you notice anything different. Some guys see great results from Rev-X and you should be running a Full Syn oil anyway. Glad to hear your using stanadyne

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Old 10-07-2012, 06:26 PM

the amsoil im running is a full synthetic. Do you think the rotella is better? if so i guess il make the switch and where can i get rev-x from? also i have a nice snap-on scanner il see if i can do some injectors tests with that and let you know, if all else fails i guess il have to bite the bullet and go to ford, i just know the run down il get from them about my exhaust and tuner and intake etc. lol thanks for the help anymore thoughts would be great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.