Tell me what this sound is from. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 09:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tell me what this sound is from.

This is from my '07 F350 CCLB with 79,000 miles on it. The weird sound is coming from the engine bay. I kind of sounds like creaking metal parts but different. It only happens when at temperature (190+) and only when I am accelerating (foot on the gas pedal.) When it makes this sound the second I take my foot off of the gas it stops.

When I made these videos tonight I was WOT with psi in the 20's per my CS. It does generally make this sound when the psi is higher but it can also happen when taking it easy from a red light. Then it is only a short duration before going away.

All of my pids looked normal. FICM 47.0-48.5, EOT/ECT within 8 max, battery volt when running 13.8, IPCN (or whatever that is, I really don't know) when running 1.2.

Let me know if you need more audio. The link included has four short (15 sec max) video clips on youtube that were taken at night so you can see anything but you can hear the noise. I have no idea where to even look but thought I would try all of you genius' before taking it to the dealership.

Weird Truck Sounds- YouTube

Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2012, 10:31 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
That is weird?? I have no idea as to what to even start lookin at. Take your intake off and check your turbo for in and out excessive shaft play??
Old 10-03-2012, 08:50 AM

It also seems that I have a small oil leak on the drivers side of the engine bay. There is one or two drops of oil on my driveway this morning.

Edit:I found this video on youtube about turbo surge. My sound is lower pitched but wondered if I was getting closer with what my problem is. What do you guys think? 7.3 Powerstroke turbo surge - YouTube

Last edited by sanctified; 10-03-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:42 PM

I took my intake off to check the turbo as Tuscany suggested and found this:

The turbo looks brand new. I was expecting some pretty nasty build up but was pleasantly surprised. The label in the second pic says remanufactured and gives the part and serial numbers. After a quick google search on the PN it seems like its just a stock turbo. I meant to count the vanes but forgot and can't tell from the pic I snapped.

I played the recordings I made to a gear head at work that rebuilds FJ40's and he said it sounded like a rattling heat shield. I tried to find anything loose under the truck but couldn't find anything in particular. It didn't really seem like there was any heat shields other than the stuff stuck to the body.

Any thoughts on the turbo? Is it just a stock turbo that was reworked? There is no mention of it on the oasis report.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:45 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Yeah it looked just like stock reworked
Old 10-03-2012, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

Torque Converter? Fan hitting the shroud?

Is the sound from up front or could it be from down low?
Old 10-03-2012, 04:05 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Have you tried it in part while revving the truck? With the ac on/off. Sounds like a bearing?

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:32 PM

The sound seems like it's coming the tranny area close the the firewall. It sounds close. I'm not sure where or what the torque converter is and I'll have to check the fan. I haven't tried it in park either but will do that when I get I get out of class. I wasn't running the a/c last night but it will make it with it on or off.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:45 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Your torque converter is in the bell housing, bolts up to the back of the motor. Have you checked your trans fluid.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:11 PM

I haven't checked my trans fluid but everything shifts really clean. What would I be checking for on the torque converter? I'll add the fluids as well on my list of things to check. I actually thought initially that it was the transmission due to the location that the sound was coming from but then ruled it out because of the smooth shifting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.