High coolant temps - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 08:46 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
High coolant temps

I have a 06 6.0l, 89000 miles. Within the last two months I have rebuilt my turbo, for a smoking issue, while in there, I went ahead and replaced my oil cooler. I have sent my Ficm to Ed for repair. My truck has a 4" turbo back exhaust, sct programmer, run it on tow, when I sent in the Ficm I had the atlas program installed. I also put in the blue sping for the fuel pressure issues. I run 5w40 mobile one synthitic w/2 bottles of rev-x every oil change.Saying all that, since I put the Ficm back in I have been getting high coolant temps on the highway, towing or not. Running around town my temps stay at 188 to 194. On the highway it will run around 194 until I get to a grade and then it will go to 220 sometimes up to 235. When I did the turbo and oil cooler I spent a week flushing the cooling system. Anyone have any ideals what I could check? Please help. Thanks

Last edited by jsbowlin; 10-02-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-02-2012, 01:19 PM

Have you checked the temperatures of the ECT and Eot after sitting for awhile, are they close to each other? This would verify that your sensors are accurate.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:41 PM

Yes, they are within 2-3 deg of one another.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Your temps should never be below the themostat opening temp of 190 to 195 after warm up. You prrobably have a stuck open themostat which will cause your temp readings to be a little off. Your delta may not be as high as it seems.

Check the air flow thru the a/c condensor; cac and radiator. Check for cooling fan operation. The entire cooling system has to work properly together to keep the temps in normal ranges.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:57 PM

Just put a new thermostat in it, thought that might be it. As for not dropping below 192, every time it jumps up to 220-230 it goes down to 178-180. Kinda freaky I know. Just driving me crazy!
Old 10-03-2012, 03:40 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
subscribed...I want to know how this one turns out. Mine has done similar things, I put in a new thermostat and it seems to have helped some, but still does weird things.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:04 AM
Premium Member

Do you still have your EGR valve? If you don't the issue may be the PCM controlling the fan clutch as with some flash versions there is a problem reaching maximum engagement of the fan clutch if the EGR valve is not still electrically connected.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:21 AM

might be the case...my egr is deleted, but the connection is still in place. my temps just rise more than they should before settling out. they will go up to 215-220 and then rapidly fall back to 185-187 and then slowly get back to the 190 range and stay there like it's supposed to????? blows my mind..............
Old 10-03-2012, 06:05 AM

I have an egr delete. The valve is still in place and connected. I use the sct To get the check engin light of do to the delete.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:11 AM
Premium Member

Is it possible your cooling system is a little low due to the small hose to the degas bottle from the center of the block kinked or plugged as to not let gas pockets in the top of your engine to reach the degas bottle? The fitting on the block side isn't very big. Do you find that your heater does not put out much at times untill you hit higher RPM's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.