at a loss 6 injectors in 10months - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-01-2012, 01:44 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 55
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
at a loss 6 injectors in 10months

i need some help here someone anyone.. i purchased the truck used in november with 99k on it, stock, had a list a mile long of service history at the dealer so i thought i was in the clear. fast fordward to now 111k and 6 injectors later, basicly one every other month sometimes 2 at a time. thankfully the truck is not my main means of transport otherwise it would be gone by now. I have put a 4in exhaust, blue spring,SRL tune, scanguage, changed fuel filters, twice now with ford filters, and revx treatment.

I no longer trust the dealer to fix it properly so Im hoping i can get somewhere on here to get to the bottom of the issue. they have been great at eating the bill each time its in for work but Ive had enough, I need the truck to run properly for snowmobile season where it will see 6-7k miles of use for the season. hopefully someone can point me in the right direction
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 10-01-2012, 01:59 PM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 5,201
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I realize you said you have the blue spring update, but you need to verify your fuel pressure.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 10-01-2012, 02:03 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 55
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ok, what would be the best way to do that? cheap auto meter guage? different dealer? snap on mac etc? I have no problem wrenching on it just want to go about it the right way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 10-01-2012, 02:11 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Boca Raton, Florida
Posts: 1,537
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbxdrew View Post
I no longer trust the dealer to fix it properly

This is the same reason I joined powerstroke.org



Anyway...Their is no factory sensor for fuel pressure but their is a port on the fuel pressure regulator to install a sensor to read the pressure. Unfortunately, I don't think the ScanGaugeII supports adding secondary sensors. Personally I would ditch the ScanGaugeII and get an Edge Insight CTS with the Edge Accessory System (EAS) to allow you to connect multiple, additional accessories like Fuel Pressure and EGTs (both VERY important to watch).

What kind of oil are you running? I saw you ran Rev-X but are you running a 5W-40 Full Synthetic? Also, do you use any kind of fuel treatment or cetane booster?

Our injectors are controlled by oil so needless to say oil is crucial in these trucks. The new USLD doesn't have much lubrication in it so a good fuel treatment of some sort will do your injectors good

I run Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 Full Synthetic with ArchOil AR9100 and use Stanadyne Performance Formula as a cetane booster with Synthetic 2-Stroke Oil for lubrication. My current truck has 91K miles on original injectors and my old 6.0 (totaled) had 60K on original injectors

Last edited by mazsecond; 10-01-2012 at 02:15 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 10-01-2012, 02:14 PM
Premium Member
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Gulf Coast
Posts: 5,201
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbxdrew View Post
ok, what would be the best way to do that? cheap auto meter guage? different dealer? snap on mac etc? I have no problem wrenching on it just want to go about it the right way
I got the adapter fitting m12x1.5 from glowshift. Just put I it here in the fuel bowl housing....


Then hook a hose and guage up and run it up to your windshield. All of this is temporary of course.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 10-01-2012, 02:22 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 55
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazsecond View Post

This is the same reason I joined powerstroke.org



Anyway...Their is no factory sensor for fuel pressure but their is a port on the fuel pressure regulator to install a sensor to read the pressure. Unfortunately, I don't think the ScanGaugeII supports adding secondary sensors. Personally I would ditch the ScanGaugeII and get an Edge Insight CTS with the Edge Accessory System (EAS) to allow you to connect multiple, additional accessories like Fuel Pressure and EGTs (both VERY important to watch).

What kind of oil are you running? I saw you ran Rev-X but are you running a 5W-40 Full Synthetic? Also, do you use any kind of fuel treatment or cetane booster?


Our injectors are controlled by oil so needless to say oil is crucial in these trucks. The new USLD doesn't have much lubrication in it so a good fuel treatment of some sort will do your injectors good

I run Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 Full Synthetic with ArchOil AR9100 and use Stanadyne Performance Formula as a cetane booster with Synthetic 2-Stroke Oil for lubrication. My current truck has 91K miles on original injectors and my old 6.0 (totaled) had 60K on original injectors
diesel kleen w/ cetane boost, rotella 15w40 dino oil, we get it bulk at my work so its "free"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 10-01-2012, 02:28 PM
Powerstroke Techie

 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South Fayette/Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 5,271
Thanks: 22
Thanked 77 Times in 68 Posts
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
are you loosing multiple injectors on one cylinder OR are you just replacing them one at a time?

The latter is fairly normal for your mileage and usually caused by a lack of maintenance. If you are losing multiple injectors on one cylinder in a short amount of time then the root cause needs to be identified
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 10-01-2012, 02:36 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 55
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinner6.0L View Post
are you loosing multiple injectors on one cylinder OR are you just replacing them one at a time?

The latter is fairly normal for your mileage and usually caused by a lack of maintenance. If you are losing multiple injectors on one cylinder in a short amount of time then the root cause needs to be identified
different cylinder every time
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 10-01-2012, 02:38 PM
Powerstroke Techie

 

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South Fayette/Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 5,271
Thanks: 22
Thanked 77 Times in 68 Posts
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
That's not totally unheard of then. I have seen more than a few vehicles that would have benefited from 8 new injectors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 10-01-2012, 02:41 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: port arthur texas
Posts: 3,580
Thanks: 0
Thanked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sometimes free isn't always free. Bulk fuel in tankage has a bad habit of forming an alge if they aren't treating the tank for this you can be getting alge and really fine sand/rust particles that will pass right thru the filter but will be stopped by the screen on the injector itself plugging the screen assumeing they havent fell out, a fairly common occurance. These conditions will kill injectors. You can try ordering a smaller micron filter and see if that helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors