Smoke while engine is warm.... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2012, 05:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Smoke while engine is warm....

So i just purchased a 2006 F250 with the 6.0 powerstroke at 241000miles on the clock. and love the truck! Picked it up from down south and the truck has a mint body, not a speck of rust! Have put about 200 miles on it so far and for about the first 150-175 i did not notice any smoke (even under hard acceleration) or haze coming from the exhaust, but a couple days ago i was scraping off old window tint and drained the battery while listening to the radio with the auto head lights coming on.... So i put the truck on the charger and got it charged up enough to start it, then let it idle for about 15min and turned it off because i had to get some stuff together to run errands. Went back to the truck after about 1/2hr and no problems starting and the truck was fairly warm (and pretty warm outside, about 55-60 degrees) got about 3 miles from the house and noticed excessive blueish/white smoke coming from the tailpipe...what the hell! There was a lot of smoke, i thought something catastrophic happened so i was getting ready to turn around and head home and about got within about a mile of my house and noticed the smoke completely stopped.
Since then i have notices an occoasional blueish white smoke coming from the exhaust (have not noticed any smell) but only seems to happen when the truck is warm, i have not noticed any smoke on startup as one would think. It only lasts for a minute or two then seems to go away and it hasnt been as bad as the first time i noticed. I am thinking that either the battery being drained and not fully recharged has triggerd this by maybe not supplying the proper voltage to the FICM or possibly have an injector sticking a bit; what do you guys think? FYI I just orderd a gallon of archoil ar9100 and will do a full service once it arrives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2012, 04:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

UPDATE: Did an oil/filter chane (used motorcraft filter and added 16oz of archoil) and also changed fuel filters (used international filters) but still having a smoke problem... It is starting to get colder outside, around 40* in the morning and I have noticed a little smoke (white) when starting (I know this is pretty common with all diesels once it starts to get cooler outside). Once the truck warms up though it still occoasionally smokes bluish/white while driving, then goes away completely, then comes back seemingly at random. I seem to notice it start to smoke when pulling away from a stop sign or stoplight and notice the engine seems to have a little hesitation when smoking, doesnt seem to be as big of a problem while crusing. When it does smoke there is quite a bit coming out and it is starting to scare me into thinking there is something big wrong, where should I start?
Old 10-08-2012, 05:41 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
You need a monitor. Load test your batteries, google ficm check procedure. Read the stickies on monitoring your truck. Need to pull codes.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Check engine light actually just came on today, P0405 for the egr sensor...
Old 10-08-2012, 02:32 PM
Premium Member

Hmmm, maybe you should pull your egr and inspect.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Was gonna post same type post tonight only difference no hesitation so what do we think stiction? Was gonna go to rotella 10-30 since cooler out now hear this oil helps with stiction. 65 k f350 has Mobil one synthetic now and needs change in under 500 miles.....
Like I said same smoke at same time....and sometimes right at fire up
Old 10-08-2012, 08:56 PM
Premium Member

I apologize, op, if your seeing blue smoke expect a leaking turbo seal, or sometimes caused by ccv mods. White smoke is typically ficm or injector problems. Rotella t6 or mobile 1 synthetic are common oils used by many.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.