Help! Not sure what to do anymore to fix this thing... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2012, 11:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help! Not sure what to do anymore to fix this thing...

I've got an '05 excursion 6.0, 103k on it and it's becoming a major headache. I'm stumped.

Here's the rundown:
When we bought it, it ran fine for a few days then stalled & died as we were braking & turning; towed home.
* replaced alternator (CS screen reading low battery)
* stalled again on next test drive, tow home.
* replaced BPS
* torque converter clutch reading was really weird (MAC scanner)
* took to local shop & they tested & replaced ICP, IPR, resealed branch tubes, replaced 2 injectors that were leaking.
* stalled again (low oil pressure) & had it brought home (CS screen had kicked the bucket by this time).
* replaced STC - got tested at local shop & tested good!
* wife drove it out and it started the stuttering all over again, surging & losing power etc @ 65 mph. She limped it home.
* I drove it again and thought it felt like it was surging in all gears, stuttering etc. It stalled & we boosted it for about 15 mins, and it struggled to life. Made it home
* BOUGHT AE!!
* Found a bunch of electrical codes and got to work on them - most of them are gone now except for P0500 & U2016, also the 2WD solenoid (can't remember the ###).
* took it for another test drive while monitoring it and it stalled again, along with the surging & lurching. Here's some readings that came up:
engine oil temp - 191
coolant temp - 193
FICM stayed steady.
*tried to restart & had an ICP reading 350-380 psi and it wouldn't start.
* wife came out to boost it and we let it sit for about 15 mins (temp was 185 by then) and it struggled to life again. Just before it started AE had an ICP reading of over 4000 psi, no cranking, nothing.

according to AE my vehicle speed was 0.2 mph and my speedometer was reading 50mph.
* at idle TC slippage was Desired=1020rpm, Actual=20rpm

Could a bad PCM harness cause all this mess???

Any other ideas? Not sure where to go with this anymore...

Last edited by 2005Excursion6.0; 08-09-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2012, 04:46 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

no one has any ideas???? I'm hoping some of these problems might be related to a particular harness....but I'm not super familiar with these trucks (yet)...

any input is appreciated!
Old 08-10-2012, 05:09 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Have you had your batteries load tested. Continual operation on low voltage can cause FICM and PCM damage and some really strange results.

What you are describeing makes me believe a failing PCM due to low voltages/amps.
There may be physical damages or just data corruption, you need to have it checked by Ford and maybe even reflashed. Your FICM may be damaged as well.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:55 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy950 View Post
Have you had your batteries load tested. Continual operation on low voltage can cause FICM and PCM damage and some really strange results.

What you are describeing makes me believe a failing PCM due to low voltages/amps.
There may be physical damages or just data corruption, you need to have it checked by Ford and maybe even reflashed. Your FICM may be damaged as well.

I have had the batteries tested and they tested good.

What does a reflash cost on average??
Old 08-10-2012, 06:18 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Around here avg. is a $100.00 depends on your area. A few phonecalls will let you know at your area.

A reflash will only do any good if it is data corruption it won't fix a physical issue. It also will not always cure a data issue sometimes they will have to be sent to the factory for complete reprogamming.

Last edited by dannyboy950; 08-10-2012 at 06:22 AM.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:59 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy950 View Post
Around here avg. is a $100.00 depends on your area. A few phonecalls will let you know at your area.

A reflash will only do any good if it is data corruption it won't fix a physical issue. It also will not always cure a data issue sometimes they will have to be sent to the factory for complete reprogamming.
Ok, thanks for the help so far. Appreciate it!
Old 08-10-2012, 10:37 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 10 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005Excursion6.0 View Post
I've got an '05 excursion 6.0, 103k on it and it's becoming a major headache. I'm stumped.

Here's the rundown:
When we bought it, it ran fine for a few days then stalled & died as we were braking & turning; towed home.
* replaced alternator (CS screen reading low battery)
* stalled again on next test drive, tow home.
* replaced BPS
* torque converter clutch reading was really weird (MAC scanner)
* took to local shop & they tested & replaced ICP, IPR, resealed branch tubes, replaced 2 injectors that were leaking.
* stalled again (low oil pressure) & had it brought home (CS screen had kicked the bucket by this time).
* replaced STC - got tested at local shop & tested good!
* wife drove it out and it started the stuttering all over again, surging & losing power etc @ 65 mph. She limped it home.
* I drove it again and thought it felt like it was surging in all gears, stuttering etc. It stalled & we boosted it for about 15 mins, and it struggled to life. Made it home
* BOUGHT AE!!
* Found a bunch of electrical codes and got to work on them - most of them are gone now except for P0500 & U2016, also the 2WD solenoid (can't remember the ###).
* took it for another test drive while monitoring it and it stalled again, along with the surging & lurching. Here's some readings that came up:
engine oil temp - 191
coolant temp - 193
FICM stayed steady.
*tried to restart & had an ICP reading 350-380 psi and it wouldn't start.
* wife came out to boost it and we let it sit for about 15 mins (temp was 185 by then) and it struggled to life again. Just before it started AE had an ICP reading of over 4000 psi, no cranking, nothing.

according to AE my vehicle speed was 0.2 mph and my speedometer was reading 50mph.
* at idle TC slippage was Desired=1020rpm, Actual=20rpm

Could a bad PCM harness cause all this mess???

Any other ideas? Not sure where to go with this anymore...
First one noted in red. If your only able to build 300-400 psi of HPO then the truck will not start it needs to see at a minimum of 500 psi before the ficm will fire the injectors.

Second note in green that sounds like AE was reading ICP DESIRED pressure as it wants to see high pressure in the system in order to fire while the engine is going to be cranking over.

I too believe you are experiencing a failing/failed FICM/PCM you need to take it to ford and have them diagnose the problems your having. There is only so much one can do at home to diagnose these problems. Sometimes the dealer is the only ones with the diagnostic equipment to be able to tell exactly what is going on with the vehicle.

If you just bought the truck and started having problems with it a few days after why didn't you take it back to where you bought it from and demand either your money back or that they fix it or reimburse you for all repairs you have made to the vehicle?
Old 08-12-2012, 08:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Check all the connections under the FICM, have seen bad connections there cause some weird crap.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by altadiesel View Post
Check all the connections under the FICM, have seen bad connections there cause some weird crap.
Yeah, it's all good under there. We're going to replace the HPOP & the other 6 injectors that haven't been done yet and see where that leaves us.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:13 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005Excursion6.0 View Post
Yeah, it's all good under there. We're going to replace the HPOP & the other 6 injectors that haven't been done yet and see where that leaves us.
Subscribed! I gotta see this, changing hpop and injectors will not fix all the described electrical mayhem.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.