No oil pressure at idle??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2012, 11:30 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No oil pressure at idle???

Just as the title says. I have no oil pressure at idle. But if I speed the truck up to around 1k rpm it has normal oil pressure. If the truck sits for a minute it takes a min to start when it does it will run for a second and cut off. But when it starts if I give it a little throttle it will stay running and then run fine but I still don't have oil pressure when it idles all the way down. Now after I shut the truck off if I start it right back up it will stay running without me having to give it any throttle... So what do you guys think it could be? I'm taking it back to the dealership tomorrow where I just had arp studs put in and new oem HG. But I would like to know what you guys think. Thanks

Austin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2012, 12:08 AM

You probably have a weak low pressure pump or regulator altho fords dash gauge is not agood indicator since it only takes 7 psi for the gauge to show full pressure.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:42 AM

Well I was thinking the low pressure oil pump was bad myself. But I was also thinking something else is causing a restriction not letting it get normal oil pressure. Anything special you can think of that it could be causing it...?
Old 05-03-2012, 04:20 AM

Unless it's an 03 or early 04 , put an oil sending unit in it.
They do that sometimes
Old 05-03-2012, 06:09 AM

There is a situation that can happen when a person switches to an after market filter and cap (such as a Wix) which is a longer filter and comes with its own cap. The next oil change they go back to a motorcraft and use the same cap cause they had threw the other away.

The cap holds the filter down and keeps the drain valve closed normally. Since the aftermarket cap is taller it no longer holds the filter in place and it can float up allowing part of the oil in the houseing to dain off to the pan, reduceing oil flow and pressure.

The same thing can happen if the plastic button (filter bypass valve) comes out of the plastic center pipe or the pipe breaks same thing.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:53 AM

Well they put a new sending unit in today and that didn't fix it. But the truck has never had anything motorcraft everything in it. All of the work is being done by bartow Ford. They said they are going to check some check valve inside the motor cuz they think its sticky and restricting flow so at idle the pump can't keep up. And if that's not it they will put a new oil pump in it. But I don't care as long as they fix it. But best of all its on their dime cuz its all warranty work. Plus they always give me a free rental. I'm driving a 2012 f150 with the 302 in it. Crew cab 4x4 cuz I always tell them I bought a big truck to pull my boat and cuz I don't like cars so don't try and put me in one. lol

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide.com App
Old 05-03-2012, 09:40 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
tagged to read later.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:08 AM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Well I was gonna say the ones posted above were what I was thinking but idk now. Let us know what ferd says.

iPhone
Old 05-03-2012, 11:19 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
uhhhhhhh.....my totally serious answer to this is...

Im thinking oil pump or something is clogging the passage ways when they did your HG install... They obviously touched the oil supply system while doing that work

Just gonna throw this out their and people can yell at me that this is not the answer lol....

Here goes... have you tried looking at the screen on the IPR valve going into the HPOP???
Old 05-03-2012, 04:54 PM

Mine just started the EXACT same thing. Rode home fine. Went to start warm, and extra extra long crank. I noticed the "check gauge" light on, and no oil pressure. Heading to the shop tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.