Truck won't stay running after head gaskets - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2012, 03:57 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck won't stay running after head gaskets

Okay I have just done a full HG job with new heads and OEM gaskets.

Can't get truck to stay running after doing all this work. I just threw a new ICP sensor and IPR valve in it thinking they were original and might be the problem but didn't fix the issue. Hooked my computer up to it and measure only average of 150 to 175 ICP pressure when it does kick over and run for a few moments. Any ideas? I am guessing a HP system oil leak or a bad HP oil pump? I just don't think pump just go out though?

One head kit came with the new stand pipe and the other was missing it so I put the old one back in thinking it would be fine bc it was all just replaced about 25k miles ago. Is there some way to hookup a air compressor and measure ICP at the same time to determine if its a HP oil leak?

I really don't want to replace it until I know for sure. Maybe some techs can chime in thanks.... so frustrated!

133k on truck now

Last edited by Eellcflorida; 04-17-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2012, 05:34 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

The air test is run thru the icp port with the valve covers removed is best cause you may need to test each oil rail seperate. The most common failures are the o-rings and the stc fitting. While the 06 and up pumps are not as common to failure as the 03/04 they do sometimes fail. There is a sticky 1st post on the problems forum page that tells the procedure. You do not directly test the icp other than with the scanner or a dvom.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:13 PM

I checked the FICM and it was a solid 48v KOEO and through startup and idle.

I found the write up on the air testing of the system. I know it leaks about 175psi that seems kind of high for an air compressor?

Thinking about replacing both standpipes and DPs tomorrow.
I know after starting on cold mornings and driving the truck was very weak on power it would fade as you got into the throttle until it got up to 100 degrees or so (not sure if my HPOP is getting weak?) Truck has alot of idle time on it as well, almost 4000 hrs I think.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:53 PM

Also just been researching older posts about this and i keep reading the icp pressure must be over 500 psi just to activate injectors which doesn't make sense to me as the engine was running for a few moments at a time with the icp pressures of about 160.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:31 AM

yes that is correct it needs at least 500 psi for it to start..
Old 04-26-2012, 09:42 AM

Truck is still in shop (one week now). Talked to diesel tech today. Ran pressure test on HP oil system, no leaks, pulled both valve covers inspected rails, standpipes, dummy plugs, no leaks. Has updated STC fitting pump cover pulled, no leaks. Diesel tech was going to talk to Ford engineering to figure out what to do next. Looks to have good low pressure oil pump flow/function.

truck starts, wont run for more than a minute ICP comes up to 700 then slowly drops off to nothing. Even the diesel tech is stumped on this one. He says he has never seen a later model HPOP go bad? Truck has new IPR and ICP. I need this thing running, business is down without it.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:35 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jimmyv13 Send a message via Yahoo to jimmyv13
ICP harness?

Seems electrical to me since as it heats up then it fails.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:42 AM

No not a heat issue. He says not a wiring issue. ICP drops steadily until engine dies. They are going to test pump output with IPR closed (12v). He says pressure should build to 3000 psi

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 04-26-2012, 11:52 AM

yea look like it for sure needs a hpop.. if there are no leaks. ive seen a few 06 fail..
Old 04-26-2012, 01:31 PM

Just got back from dealer. He tested HPOP with IPR closed (12v applied) and Injectors electrical disconnected. While cranking you could see 0psi until about 6 to 7 seconds into the cranking the HPOP built pressure up past 4500psi. LPOP failure, he just got done fixing two others with the same problem. Apparently when crap gets in the LPOP gears, even a little bit of scoring can cause total failure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.