Turbo problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2007, 09:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turbo problems

Iím new to this forum and have way less diesel knowledge than most of you. I have a 2005 F-350 dually that I use primarily for towing my 15,000 lb 5th wheel RV. It is entirely stock with no aftermarket add ons.
At about 67,000 miles the oil cooler failed and contaminated the coolant with oil. The Ford dealer replaced the entire cooling system and all hoses and flushed the block until it was clean.
About 200 miles down the road while pulling up a 6% grade the hose blew off the output side of the turbo. Took it to another dealer who said it was producing too much boost due to carbon in the turbo. (This turbo was replaced only 20,000 miles ago) He cleaned it up and put it back on and said it was fixed. So, as we were pulling up the same hill the hose blew off again. Now the dealer is going to order a new turbo. At this point I donít have a lot of confidence that this will fix the problem. Is there anything else that would cause this hose to blow off? Is there anything the first dealer could have screwed up when he was reassembling the cooling system that would cause this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2007, 09:21 AM
COLLEGE KID

Send a message via AIM to lifewitlooie
Not a clue. someone will help u out shortly, im sure of it.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i have had my turbo replaced now 3 times i had never had an issue with the hoses blowing off... but i will say that my excursion has run better nock on wood thoe sence this last time it was in... best of luck to you with that....
Old 09-26-2007, 08:58 PM

perhaps that clamp is just failing. was that replaced?

typically when a turbo fails theres more signs such as: oil in the charge piping from bad seals, oil in the downpipe for the same reasons.

If its water cooled theres the rare occurance of the center section leaking mixing up coolant/oil, VERY rare.

is it holding boost fine? only other thing would be a faulty wastegate. perhaps it is overboosting which would make more pressure, which might be able to blow it off. Just check that clamp and look at its condition. Replace it with a heavy duty one and see if it solves any problems.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:36 AM
Banned

Welcome to the forum Junkmanstan! This looks like the same thing I saw over at RV.net. You got some good advice over there and the Ford techs here should confirm that for you here shortly.

Cypher, the 6.0 Powerstroke is more than a little different than a gasser. Because of the crankcase vent system on these engines, there is almost always oil in the charge piping unless someone has re-routed the vent tube. The PSD turbo is not water cooled and it is not wastegated. They can overboost when the variable geometry turbo vanes stick due to carbon buildup.

Hopefully Marc, Jon, Scott or Shawn will be able to shed some light on your situation.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:17 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
to the org, Junkman! It sounds like Matt hit the nail on the head with an overboost condition. Now, just a question-do you normally baby your truck around town when you're not towing? Does your truck sit without being driven for long periods of time? Those can lead to the carbon build up and/or rust occuring on these turbos. You need to drive these trucks hard so the turbo vanes don't stick. Take it out every once in a while and drive the piss out of it. That should keep things moving...

BTW, the dealerships are instructed to try cleaning them first and if the problem persists, they are replaced. It sounds like this is what is happening in your case.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:52 AM

i've actually had a little experience with the variable geometry boost control. I had to take it out and test the sensor becuase it had an overboosting code.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Just to add the cleaning is only a crutch it is not a solution. The cleaning may work for between 10k to 30k miles (depending on how you drive it)but you will have this issue again. Also when the turbo is taken apart there are several different parts that are checked for wear. If there is anywear on these parts the turbo it must be replaced(a good tech will find these a bad one wont) Also I agree with evil eye run the piss out of it every once in awhile to clear the carbon and this should prolong the turbo's life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.