Please help need to get to work!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2012, 06:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Please help need to get to work!!!

Ok so I just studded my 04 superduty. re-installed everything, fired it up finally after cranking the sucker for half a day. anyways my question is this,
I cant build up any boost, and when i do build boost it has to spool forever. when the vgt is plugged in it makes a huge sucking sound or more like hissing, then i unplug it and the sound goes away. I also did an egr delete. Has anyone had these kinds of turbo problems? its a stock turbo, I dont know what to do to fix it, i will be buying a new one someday but just to get to work and back I need the ole girl to run.

thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2012, 12:22 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sounds like the turbo is missaligned and it may need cleaning. There are several posts on here with the cleaning procedure.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

a misaligned turbo would do that to me? You mean the way it is mounted down to the pedestal or it turned? I'm not exactly sure what you mean by that. any more ideas out there? I know for sure that the turbo needs cleaning, but its worked alot better before I did the egr delete and studs.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:47 AM

When the heads were removed the exhaust system was disconnected, when the flanges were mated back up if they werent alinged perfectly flat they won't seal corectly and they will not draw in with the clamps. Mis seated/aligned flanges will often make a whistle or whooshing noise. Also those exhaust pipes that are foced into position by trying to draw in with the clamps will often crack the flex pipes with the same whistle or whoose.
Old 04-07-2012, 04:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

its just strange that when i disconnect the vgt plug with the motor running the whistling sound instantly goes away, i have felt all around ever exhaust part to check for leaks and i've get to find any. could be something to do with the egr delete? are you suppose to put the egr back in or just use the block off plate? i cant figure out this turbo issue, but like i said when i unplug the vgt the whishhhhhing sound goes away. anybody with any other ideas? i'm out of them.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:50 PM

Well when ya unplug the vgt the turbo basicall quits woking, the vgt moves the vanes,opening and closeing them. In the closed position the turbo does not tun as fast and pumps little air. The wider they open the faster the turbo spins and moves air faste at greater volume creating boost. Now a turbo does make some noise as it increases speed maybe this is what yer hearing or maybe a cac hose is leaking.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:27 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

i waited for the engine to cool down then starrted it back up, i stuck my hand behind the turbo to where the y-pipe connects, right at the very bottom i could feel exhaust gas, tommorow i will try to re-arrange it and see if that fixes it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.