Long trip with lots of problems... HELP! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2012, 02:10 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Long trip with lots of problems... HELP!

Alright - I will try to make this as short and concise as possible. I have a 2003 6.0 with 200,000 on the original gasket and studs as far as I know. Until last weekend I have had my share of problems but now I'm scared. Last weekend I had to make a road trip of roughly 2000 miles round trip on a fairly fresh oil change, with fuel filter changes (all ford parts) with Rev-x 8oz added to oil...

I have the Edge Insight CS and about 1/4 of the way through my trip I started noticing that my FICM voltage was beginning to intermittently drop below 45.5 volts at random. Sometimes it would even get in the 42 volt range. I had now option to turn back as I was on my way to attend my grandfathers funeral. Upon my arrival I noticed that the truck would spit, sputter, and surge a bit at the red lights with no noticeable drop in performance otherwise. I averaged 22mpg round trip with plenty of power to spare on the road so I didn't really think much of it. The next morning upon a colder then normal start up the FICM voltage was in the 38volt range for a few minutes and the truck was still missing and surging. I checked the codes and found the injector 5 contribution code. Thinking that may be the result of a bad FICM I cleared it and continued on... Even when the FICM is running at 48volts the truck is still missing and surging. What could be going on? Coming home yesterday my truck was running great through the mountains when my EDGE Insight CS took a crap and left me driving blind...

Anyway - now I have a rough running truck with what feels like a misfiring injector and a bad FICM... My question is when I repair the FICM do you think it will clear up the stumbling, missing, and surging? I currently don't have any injector codes. Should I upgrade to a 58volt FICM???? Could anything else be causing this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2012, 05:17 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

What was your battery voltage doing during all of this?
Old 04-05-2012, 05:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Batt voltage fluctuates between 14.1 & 14.4 normally with everything running. Had a new alternator installed last year.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

I was just wondering since that could mess with the FICM voltage. Since your FICM voltage is low it would seem to me like that is the culprit. I would fix that first and see if that does the trick. I personally haven't had FICM issues but I'm sure someone will chime in that has.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:21 PM
information regurgitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miskeeter View Post
My question is when I repair the FICM do you think it will clear up the stumbling, missing, and surging?
Yep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miskeeter View Post
I currently don't have any injector codes. Should I upgrade to a 58volt FICM? Could anything else be causing this?
I went with the 48 volt repair through Ficmrepair.com. Ed got it all fixed right up and shipped off fast.
Check them out.
You don't want to continue driving the truck with a bad FICM any longer than you absolutely have to. The low voltage being delivered to the injectors can harm them.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:25 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Alright - sounds good. I will give them a try. I appreciate the assistance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
ficm, injector, missing, surging

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.