Intermitten power issue - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2012, 12:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Intermitten power issue

Hi all,

I have searched the threads to try and narrow it down and may have a good idea what is wrong but at the price the part will cost I want to hear what you folks say and make sure I am on the right path.

I have an early '04 PSD CC 4x4 and other than a custom tune, lift and 35" tires everything else is stock. Even full stock exhaust!

The issue is that every once in a while the truck will idle a bit rough and clear up on its own. Sometimes after a full throttle run up a freeway entrance when I back out of it it has a lack of power but if I hold the pedal down it comes back to life after about 2 or 3 seconds. Until then it flat has no power and no odd noises. It seems to do this when it damned well pleases but I have noticed that it happens more often when the vehicle isn't up to full operating temp. Its not cold, just not completely warmed up.

It did this both before the tune and after so I know its not a tuning issue.

Any ideas? From my research I am coming up with a FICM issue, but at the price of a new one I hate to shell out that kind of coin to find out it didn't correct the issue. I wish there were a CEL so I could get the trouble code but there isn't.

Thank you all in advance for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2012, 01:53 PM

Does black smoke come out the exhaust during this time?

Sounds like Stuck EGR Valve. Clean it to test, replace if necessary. Takes 10 minutes
Even better, delete the EGR system! =D
Old 04-04-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicion View Post
Does black smoke come out the exhaust during this time?

Sounds like Stuck EGR Valve. Clean it to test, replace if necessary. Takes 10 minutes
Even better, delete the EGR system! =D

No smoke of any kind comes out during the issue. Only smoke is the occasional puff at WOT after the tune but that is normal. I will however try to clean the EGR this weekend and see if that helps. I have plans to delete it but I have to save a bit first. I want to do the delete, coolant flush and oil cooler all at once.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:53 PM

Had a similar issue a year or so ago. I would be cruising 60mph and when I went to accelerate, I had to push the skinny pedal to the floor for a few seconds before it would jump to life.

It did it on and off until my cooler ruptured.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20046.0 View Post
Had a similar issue a year or so ago. I would be cruising 60mph and when I went to accelerate, I had to push the skinny pedal to the floor for a few seconds before it would jump to life.

It did it on and off until my cooler ruptured.
Oh man.... What cooler went? Was it the oil or EGR? I have plans to delete the EGR cooler soon but I am trying to build up the cash to flush the coolant and change the oil cooler at the same time. I may rush the EGR cooler now if that is the issue
Old 05-09-2012, 12:27 PM

Well I replaced the EGR cooler with a Sinister EGR delete kit and add Rev-X to a fresh oil change and there is no difference. I still get the same issue from time to time. Although now that weather is warming up here in CA it is getting more rare.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:47 PM

I think it has been traced to a failing FICM.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:59 PM

how many miles? also do you let it idle alot? My unisom ring was all caked up and the vanes couldn't retract fast enough so after accelerating and letting off as soon as i went back to hit the gas there would be a few second delay and then it would be fine. My truck had 108k and around 3500 hours when that happened.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:39 AM

Do you have the oem oil cap and motorcraft oil filter? Mine was surging and idling rough intermittently but throwing no codes... Turns out I had a napa oil cap and autozone oil filter... Changed them out for oem and it's like a whole new truck.. Better throttle response, more power, and no more rough running or surging.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 05-14-2012, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by x148 View Post
how many miles? also do you let it idle alot? My unisom ring was all caked up and the vanes couldn't retract fast enough so after accelerating and letting off as soon as i went back to hit the gas there would be a few second delay and then it would be fine. My truck had 108k and around 3500 hours when that happened.

When I removed the EGR cooler I was going to clean the turbo but it looked very clean in there already so I left it alone. It was apparent that the top end of this motor was pulled apart prior to my ownership so I am guessing they cleaned it up at that point. As for mileage it just turned 90,000 this last weekend
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.