Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Fuel Sending unit

8K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  dwh 
#1 ·
I have a 2006 F350 6.0 PSD. I only have 87k miles on it and it now needs a the fuel sending unit replaced for the 3rd time. What could be causing this issue.

Truck is not off road. Truck is not filled with cheap branded fuels. I do not run BioDiesel. Any suggestions for investigation?

(I have not run fuel additives ---- starting to wonder if I should be)

#2 ·
I would guess that your truck is NOT a daily driver. Also I would guess that you do NOT always have a full tank when you park it for longer periods of time. Just a guess

The electronics of the sending unit are a little below the half tank point in the tank. When it is stored with the fuel level below the electronics of the sending unit the natural condensation in the tank collects on those electronics. If you try to keep your tank above the half tank mark when you park it this will help this issue.

This is my point of view, from what I have read and experienced for myself.

Recently I thought mine had gone out after having it parked for a longer period of time and only a 1/4 tank of fuel. I lucked out, because after fueling it up and after a few days it is acting just fine and I hope it continues to. I have learned that if I am going to park it even for quite a few days I am going to have a full or almost full tank.

Also I have read, and know of people, that have had theirs replaced that ford told them it went out due to condensation in the tank. The condensation would be reduced if the tank was full, or closer to full anyway.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply anmetcalf,

I can see where you got the assumption due to low miles. I basically drive it everyday (to every other day), but only 5-10 miles a day (or less). Since I quit working, the truck sees very few miles.

The most use is when I pull a 10,000 RV, but thats only a few times a year.

Eitherway, I will try to keep the tank more full.

****as further info on the problem. The Ford Dealer is pulling the tank to inspect if there is a tank lining, sludge, or some other issue. Since the last fuel sending unit was replaced by the dealer in Feb 2011. Ford has also indicated they may provide some (or total) warranty to the issue because I have kept to schedule for maint. As well as this is the 3rd unit for this truck. ****

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.