HELP! Fluid on brake pedal return spring??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 04:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HELP! Fluid on brake pedal return spring???

I got in my truck this weekend and noticed an oily residue on my husky floor mat. I took a quick peak and found a drip hanging on the brake pedal assembly just waiting to fall to the floor mat. It stayed there for a couple of days and I finally had time to go investigate a little further to figure out what was going on. I wiped up the drip that was hanging and started looking for the source. I expected to find the fluid coming from where the brake assembly goes through the firewall, but all looked find and dry. I finally found what looks to be the source all the way at the top of the brake assembly on the brake pedal return spring. It's the spring that keeps tension on the brake pedal and returns it to the normal position after releasing the brake. Anyways, there's an oily residue all over that spring. What the heck is that and what do I need to fix? I'm sure the fluid is coming from another source above that and dripping down? I can't figure out what fluid would be around that spring. Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2012, 06:28 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

my initial thought was someone sprayed the spring because it was squeaking?? how long has the truck been yours?

2nd thought.. dry it to the best of your ability, drive it some more, and look for any residual fluid

i find it had to believe theres some kind of leak somewhere, i can't think of any fluid systems there, so i'd clean it and see if it comes back, if it does then you know theres a problem
Old 04-02-2012, 06:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yeah, I cleaned the drip up as best I could and wiped down the area. I touched the residue on the spring with my finger and it was tacky/gunky as if it has been there a while. I'll just keep an eye on it and see what happens.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

yah i had something similar on the bottom of my seat near one of the frame joints, being the picky guy i am, i cleaned the crap out of it, even used some break cleaner, a couple days later it started squeaking... quickly figured out what the junk there was from
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.