What's are signs and symptoms of HPOP issues - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2012, 09:16 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What's are signs and symptoms of HPOP issues

I posted earlier, but still stumped. I found a video that sounded like my truck to a T. What are some things to look for in HPOP failure? I did notice when cranking the truck that it sounds normal for the first second or 2, and then the oil pressure gauge comes up like it always does, and that's when the starving/hyperventilating sound starts...

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2012, 11:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Just replaced mine, you probably have the same style pump i do, the symptoms i experienced were hard or prolonged starts, low power, seemed to worsen the more i tried to diagnose.

check ICP actual, ICP desired, IPR duty cycle, Got any codes? i had p2290 ICP Low w/ no check engine light
Old 03-31-2012, 11:16 PM

Mine will fire right up like a champ. It has the normal 2 second delay before the oil pressure gauge comes up. That's when it seems like its a little low on fuel? The exhaust pipe is what will catch you attention at idle. She usually sounds like a plane, but now she still has the nice whistle, but a fast, and noticeable "lope"? I have no CEL on, and trying to be the odd guy and save every penny.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:19 PM

Also, she appeared to have good power, but today when I went for a ride to see if it still made the sound at idle, she was not really sluggish, but a slight misfire sound? Black smoke, and steady stream of that. After a few minutes she acted like she had some manners in town.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:02 AM

I would highly suggest checking your FICM (Fuel Injection Control Module) voltage, if it anything less that 47.5 volts you more than likely have and issue. Also i would check your fuel pressure our at idle as well as going down the road. Low fuel pressure = destroyed injectors = $$$. If you have it checked now it could potentially save you thousands of dollars in the long run, good luck and keep us posted
Old 04-02-2012, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roche837 View Post
I would highly suggest checking your FICM (Fuel Injection Control Module) voltage, if it anything less that 47.5 volts you more than likely have and issue. Also i would check your fuel pressure our at idle as well as going down the road. Low fuel pressure = destroyed injectors = $$$. If you have it checked now it could potentially save you thousands of dollars in the long run, good luck and keep us posted
p2290 low icp came up on my insight. I cleared it and it has not came back. My volts are idle .09-4.6ish w0t.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20046.0 View Post
p2290 low icp came up on my insight. I cleared it and it has not came back. My volts are idle .09-4.6ish w0t.
Thats what code i had also mine would not come back until i went and drove the truck, mine turned out to be the HPOP, replaced it and now all is good
Old 04-02-2012, 03:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by roche837 View Post
Thats what code i had also mine would not come back until i went and drove the truck, mine turned out to be the HPOP, replaced it and now all is good
I think you may have ruined his day
I am in my 06 right to find a leak and replace the STC fitting on mine! LOTTSA FUN!!!
Old 04-02-2012, 04:16 PM

It ruined my day for sure and it sure was loads of fun to replace, dont mean to ruin anyones day though
Old 04-02-2012, 04:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Hasn't ruined mine either. Just a great opportunity to learn all about my truck and to do a very necessary cleanup. Not mud riding after all of this...or at least until all of my cuts, bruises, and blisters have faded! Guess that's what I get for removing my FORD front grill emblem with a Peterbilt one. My son says it pissed my truck off!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.