cold no start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2012, 06:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
cold no start

well changed my oil and fuel filters in my 2003 6l f350 4 day ago and develop this problem once the engine cools down it will not start, it fires on one or 2 cly and try's to and if you keep at it it will start after 5 or 10 try's at 3 to 5 minutes a time it evnchey start 1 cly at a time tons of black smoke for 3 to 5 minutes and Finlay clears out and hits on all 8 cly.it has oil psi well cranking, I was thinking a vacuum leak in the fuel filters i changed. but here the stumper if i plug in the block heater it starts right up. the temp here is -6 c to + 6 c . but before this it started at -10 c to -15 c not plug in it starts. this all happened right after i did the oil and filters. thanks Shane
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2012, 10:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMBUSH OUTFITTERS BC View Post
well changed my oil and fuel filters in my 2003 6l f350 4 day ago and develop this problem once the engine cools down it will not start, it fires on one or 2 cly and try's to and if you keep at it it will start after 5 or 10 try's at 3 to 5 minutes a time it evnchey start 1 cly at a time tons of black smoke for 3 to 5 minutes and Finlay clears out and hits on all 8 cly.it has oil psi well cranking, I was thinking a vacuum leak in the fuel filters i changed. but here the stumper if i plug in the block heater it starts right up. the temp here is -6 c to + 6 c . but before this it started at -10 c to -15 c not plug in it starts. this all happened right after i did the oil and filters. thanks Shane
You did use Ford or Racor filters and you need to use a 5w40 Syn oil but it sound like you FICM is bad. Need to check your batteries weak or bad batteries will kill the ficm.
They come stock with a 750CCA batteries i would put in nothing less than a 850CCA battery. The price of a new ficm around $1100 or you can have your rebuilt at BPD Repair Ford FICM Module for $300
or--- FICM Repair.com - Your Source for FICM Repair My choice
Info here http://www.fordtechservice.dealercon...FICM_Guide.pdf
and here http://swampsdiesel.com/site/install...ge_Testing.pdf
Testing the FICM
I hard wired a Battery Tender Plus into the passerengerside battery had to get new nuts and bolts because the stock ones get screwed up removing then when it set for a long time i just plug it in they come with 2 sets one a clip and the other to hard wire then i just set it up by the AC unit plug in close the hood, keeps them charged at 100% all the time when it sets.
eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

2 stroker
Old 03-29-2012, 01:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

but if it's pluged in it starts fine and runs all day. could the ficm do that if it was no good.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:14 PM

The warmer temps will allow a failing FICM work a little better. Just check your batteries and FICM.

MikeB
Old 03-29-2012, 07:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

will do on the weekend thanks for all the help guys. will let know how it go's
Old 03-29-2012, 10:45 PM

If you get something like the ScanGauge - Trip Computer + Digitial Gauges + ScanTools for about $150 you will be able to read everything on the gauge or you can spend a few more dollars and get the Edge CTS this will read everything also, my choice
Edge Inisight CTS
2 stroker
Old 03-31-2012, 10:34 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

ok its the 7 post ficm with key on 47.9 volts well cranking 47.9 volts. it hits on 1 or 2 cly but wont fire up when block heater pluged in starts fine. ?
Old 03-31-2012, 11:53 AM

Im going to say you have too thick of oil (15w40) and needed 5w40 for your temps
and/or the gp system isnt functioning right.

Check your gpr and ohm test the gp's.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:54 AM

Wait!
Does the 6.0 have a gpr or glow plug module?
Old 04-01-2012, 06:38 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It was the next morning after the oil change, are they that finicky and i do have a parts truck i swap glow plug module still the same pulled both fuel filters just to check all looks good. what is a gpr and gp's. not plug in it will start but your cranking it hits one 1 or 2 cly with the key in start as so as you let go it stops , trying not to burn the start out you do this 5 to 10 times it finely stays running on 3 or 4 at abut 400 rpm and is poring black smoke out the pipe like a badly flooded gas engine if you touch the throttle it dies if left a lone it clears out Gaines a cly or 2 every 3 minutes and finely all 8 and runs fine the res or the day.let me know where the gpr and gp's is and i will check. thanks for your time. Shane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.