Slows down then takes off - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2012, 05:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Slows down then takes off

Well first off im not to familiar with 6.0s, Ive owned a couple 7.3s and im trying to figure out whats wrong with a vehicle thats thousands of miles away over the phone so I apologize in advance for not being able to give that much information. Its my moms 2005 Excursion 130k miles completely stock shes had nothing but problems with it, its had the EGR valve replaced pretty recently and 2 injectors, she said she was driving it to work yesterday and it slowed down and then she claimed it accelerated on its own, it threw a check engine light that she said went away I wanted her to get it scanned to see what the code is but she is scared to drive it and says it is running really rough, it almost sounds like an injector got stuck open or something im not sure, has any one out there seen this before any information is much appreciated thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2012, 09:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

There's alot of 6.0's surging right now... If you search "surging forward" "surging ahead" etc. alot of them are ICP related. sensor, or harness.

did she happen to notice any smoke?

could be a TPS but that wasn't a common fix in past threads.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:41 AM
Premium Member

ICP sensor or wiring to it. Be my best guess. Bet there is a P2285 code.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddb maine View Post
There's alot of 6.0's surging right now... If you search "surging forward" "surging ahead" etc. alot of them are ICP related. sensor, or harness.

did she happen to notice any smoke?

could be a TPS but that wasn't a common fix in past threads.
I asked her and she didn't notice it but she doesn't pay attention to that sort of thing like we do But I had her go look for an injection control pressure sensor and my dad is going to install it hopefully that fixes it, I will keep you updated. Do you happen to know where in the wiring it is most common to fail the harness the sensor plugs into? Do the wires melt or rub off the insulation and short circuit somewhere ? Thanks for the help
Old 03-29-2012, 06:04 AM
Premium Member

The wires can chafe over the valve cover on the passenger side. Also the connector itself can give up and not make good contact, so an intermittent problem. Just have him or her look at the wiring and make sure it hasnt been repaired on the past, or is missing the tape that protects the wiring. Most likely going to be a bad sensor. Make sure she buys a Ford sensor.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

She ordered a new sensor from Ford $175.00 so we will see what happens.
Old 04-04-2012, 10:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

They had the Ford dealership install the ICP sensor and clean the injectors (since I cant do it from overseas) , no more surging runs like when they first bought it thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.