slow cranking, no real reason!?! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2012, 02:43 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
slow cranking, no real reason!?!

I went to start my truck this moring and the thing would not start(but thats another issue all together), so anyways I was cranking the engine for about 10 minutes(not consecutivly), and for no real reasong it starting cranking very slowly, not the usual slow drain when your batteries are losing juice, and now I get home from work, it still cranking slowly, even with my wifes car jumped on the passenger side battery,, I'm not sure whats going on, it almost seems like its cranking off of one battery, they batteries are both brand new and the solenoid on the starter is also new,,, is there possibly a fuse that links the 2 batteries together, or did I fry my starter mabey????? both batteries read the same voltage with the key off 12.3, and the same with the key on 11.1,,, thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2012, 08:04 AM

bump,,, no sugestions?, can a starter crank slowly due to failure??, I've only ever seen them stop all together?,
Old 03-25-2012, 08:29 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

with electrical stuff, you just never know...

I would get both batteries load tested (yes even if they are new), then slow charge them to 100%. Check all your connections and grounds. If it still rolls slow, give the starter a sharp rap or two with a wooden handle and try again.

Is there any chance the thing is getting hydro locked? (any excessive smoke, fuel or coolant smell, coolant loss, etc...?)

MikeB
Old 03-25-2012, 08:34 AM
Serving Our Country!

I've experienced this happening to my wife's vehicle. The starter solenoid was shot. I jumped the solenoid and knew then that I had to replace it. If that isn't your problem, you may want to check your starter relay fuse as well and ensure it didn't blow. Another thing to check is grounding...is your battery grounded properly and is your engine grounded properly. Just some options to troubleshoot.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:27 PM

sounds good,, had both batteries tested today, there both good, I'm starting to think it may be the starter its self now,, its getting very hot, even with the slow cranking,,,,, what do you mean by hydro locked??,, when I tried to start it monday morning it way puking smoke out even with the engine just cranking over, how would I check if its hydro-locked?,,, I;ve always had a slow coolent leak although I'm sure its my EGR system plugged, but I topped up the system a few weeks ago and its sitting at the same level
Old 03-25-2012, 08:14 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

If it is rolling over slow, your starter will be drawing tons of current, that is why it is getting hot. You need to find out what other problem you have that is causing the slow cranking before you fry your starter (and maybe other stuff too).

If it is pouring smoke before it starts running, it sounds like you may have an injector dumping fuel into a cylinder or a leaking EGR cooler. What does the smoke smell like? Raw diesel or coolant? To see if it is getting hydrolocked you will need to pull your glowplugs and see if there is a bunch of liquid in a cylinder. You will trash the glowplug harness when you do this unless you are very careful, and then you will still likely mess it up. You can really hose up the engine if you keep cranking on it when it is hydrolocking, so you should figure out what is going on.

You really need to post all the info if you are looking for help. You failed to mention the loss of coolant and smoking. This (to me) would point to a leaking EGR cooler. You mentioned that you have a coolant leak and think it is the EGR cooler getting plugged up. This would not cause a leak if it were plugged up. What you likely have is a plugged up oil cooler, and this has caused the EGR cooler to overheat and start to fail. The failed EGR cooler will leak coolant into the exhaust side of the cooler, which will find its way into an open valve and into a cylinder (hydrolock).

Have you been monitoring the EOT/ECT delta? Have you scanned for codes? How does your FICM check out?

Hopefully a tech on this forum will chime in soon, but it sounds like EGR cooler to me...

MikeB
Old 03-28-2012, 02:18 PM

fixed it, was the starter, thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.