How much play? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2012, 04:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question How much play?

How much if any play should the ball joints have on a 04 f-250? I have a bad shake at highway speeds. I jacked the front end up and put a pry bar under the tire and picked up on it and the tire moved just a little bit in the up and down direction.

MY streering stabilizer is also covered in oil so im thinking that it has went out and it doing no good. would that cause the shake? Im trying to figure this out hoping its not my ball joints. I can not afford that adventure at this point in time. Ford wants a 1000 bucks to replace them.

Im not sure what they are called but to me it looks like the sway bar behind the front axle the links that are monted to that then the frame the bushings on them are gone. what is the exact name of the and maybe fords part number? With those out and my steering damper out would the cause the shake? I have not noticed any wierd tire wear at all. IT just started doing this a few months ago. Thanks for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2012, 04:31 AM

You can look at the ball joints while someone moves the tire like you did and see them moving if they're that bad. Mine were VERY obvious.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:48 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Any play in your ball joints, is no good. A steering stabilizer will not cause a shake, but improperly balanced tires will. Maybe you threw a weight

Those bushings are just that, sway bar link bushings. You can do the ball joints yourself for less than 300 bucks, probably closer to 200
Old 03-23-2012, 02:09 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
the way you checked your balljoints is the way I do it too. It'll show you play where otherwise you might not feel anything up or down.

Have someone else pry up on the wheel while you actually look at the joints, you'll be able to see which ones move, any obvious movement and your joints are bad.

Also check your steering, with the wheels on the ground and the vehicle off (steering wheel unlocked) have someone gently shake the wheel back an forth so the tires are just barely scrubbing the ground. look for any looseness in your tierods, draglink or track bar this way.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:51 PM

i found a write up on superdutypsd.com which is awesome. My question is do the part numbers he gives work on a 04 6.0. it says its for a 2000 f-250 i think. Im just making sure before i walk into the part store with numbers that wont work. Im also thinking about changing all the bearings while im in there even tho i dont think any of them are going bad. what do you guys think about that? Am i just making more work for myself or is it a good preventive maint. idea?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.