water drain plug,,,,,help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2012, 01:39 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
water drain plug,,,,,help

went to drain the water seperator on my truck today, and the plug is siezed right in there, long story short now the allan key is stripped and I dont know what I'm going to do to get it out, I dont really want to drill it and use and easy out, dont really want to get metal shavings in my fuel system,,, does anyone have any ideas to get the plug out or any other ideas?????

03, F-350 6.0L,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2012, 06:26 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

you are not the first to do this... if you search around you'll find some similar stories.

Some of the common solutions have been to use JB Weld and glue the allen wrench into the hole. Some have used a sharp chisel on the face of the drain plug to get the plug rotating. Others have replaced the entire cover.

I would suspect you could drill it partially (not full depth) and get an extractor to bite if you are worried about shavings in the fuel. Either that or take the entire cover off the HFCM, do your work, clean eveything up and reinstall.

I bet you could use a dremel tool to cut a slot and get a flat screwdriver to work (or cut two slots and use a phillips if you are ambitious)

However you do it, buy the new drainplug that has a knurled outer rim that you can undo by hand. The new plug can be bought at many sites, but I think Tousley has it for a good price. http://www.tousleyfordparts.com/part...catalogid=7351
water drain plug,,,,,help-sfplimage144101.jpg

MikeB

Last edited by PSDMikeB; 03-21-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:13 PM

thank you very much for ur help,, didnt have too much time to look at it today, but this weekend I will have a better look at it,, is the cover easy to remove??, honestly it doesnt even look like this drain plug has ever been removed,, does anyone make a pet-**** style plug that you can put a hose on the end so you dont spray fuel all over the place?
Old 03-22-2012, 01:55 AM

Not sure about the cover without looking at it... I suspect it is just a couple of bolts, but may also be an electrical connector? Shouldn't be too hard.

As far as the drain plug - I think those are pretty unique threads, doubt you'll find anything else hat will work. However, the new style has the extended threaded portion that acts like a keeper so the plug doesn't come all the way out. Effectively what it also does is provides a drain path for the fuel to follow. It makes a lot less of a mess when draining with the new style plug (The picture below shows an old style plug and a new one)

MikeB
Old 03-22-2012, 02:02 AM

Just looked at the book (can't sleep!) and it appears you would have to remove the fuel lines and electrical connectors (if my eyes are still working).

water drain plug,,,,,help-hfcm-.gif

To remove the fuel lines you will need a fuel line retainer clip tool, but I think you buy that at most auto parts stores.

MikeB
Old 03-22-2012, 07:23 PM

thanks again guys,, I'm going to try cutting a slot and using a screwdriver first, if that fails I will try drilling part way and and easy out, if that fails I'll pull the thing off,,, going to order one of those plugs first though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.