Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

IPR Testing and Questions

12K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  anmetcalf 
#1 ·
I have had a hard start hot for some time now. Right now I have my truck torn down trying to figure it out. It appears that I have no HPO leak under either of the valve covers. I am starting to question the IPR. I took it out and it has a very little bit of stuff on the screen, very little.

Anyway will the IPR make a hard start hot? Is there anyway to bench test it? Also the electronic solenoid on the IPR appears to be loose, is this normal? When I applied 12v to the plug it didn't didn't appear to do anything. I thought it might cycle.

When I had it up and running last my AE software was showing around 3000psi desired but it was only getting between 950-1500psi.

Here are some ICP readings

Cold key on engine off
.2 v
0 psi

cold idle
.8-1.0 v
550-600 psi

cold driving @2000rpms
2.0 v
1700 psi

See less See more
#3 ·
hmmm I suppose the IPR could cause a hard start hot but it's hard to say for sure. Your cold readings are good but what do they look like hot when it's hard starting, slow to build ICP??

I can't ever hear the IPR click or do anything when voltage is applied to it so that's not really a good test. The solenoid can be loose on the IPR body that really doesn't affect anything. Honestly,you may think I'm crazy but if it's dead quiet around you and your IPR is plugged in you can hear it singing a very high pitched sound that will change with duty cycle. Not sure that this means anything either other than the electrical side is working.

How far is your truck torn down? Did you look at the wavy rail dummy plugs (10mm hex towards the front of the rail?) What about the standpipes or STC fitting?

#4 ·
The STC was changed a year and a half ago when the the head gaskets were done. I installed new stand pipes an dummy plugs last fall, and have had them out the other day an they are good. Injector to oil rail seals are good on the passenger side. I haven't taken the drivers side oil rail off but I don't hear a leak. I went ahead and installed new seals on the injectors on the passenger side and probably will do the same to the drivers side.

I guess at this point I will screw the IPR back in and re air test the system. And see what I can figure out. Currently I have the valve covers off and the turbo out.

Sent from my DROIDX using AutoGuide.com App

#5 ·
So I have the turbo out, valve covers off and the oil/fuel filter out. I put my IPR back in re-pressurized the system and cycled my IPR. When I close it I hear gurgling from, what sounds like it is, coming out of the oil filter base. That is the only place that I hear air leaking.

Any insight?

#6 ·
That isn't good, it's very well possible you have a high pressure pump failed and the pressure is backing through the pump and into the pump reservoir.

Don't hold that against me because I've never actually seen a truck that was doing that. It's one of those diagnoses you hear about.

#7 ·
Do you have the HPOP lid off?

#10 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.