Advice needed on my 6 oh-no - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2012, 08:35 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Advice needed on my 6 oh-no

My '05 F350 6.0 has got the list of common 6.0 failures and I'm trying to decide what to do and in what order.

Background- 2005 F350 6.0L King Ranch with 135k miles. Bought the truck in '09 with 87K miles. Truck has been mostly problem free except for a dirty EGR valve and replace an alternator and two batteries last year. I've also had some injector stiction, but RevX had completely cleared that up.

I started having rough starts a couple weeks ago. I changed oil and Rev-X since it was due and sent in an oil sample. I also decided to run a scan tool on the truck.

So here it goes,
1. I've got a code for P0611. FICM is producing 34V.
2. Deltas for ECT/EOT are 12-19*
3. Alternator is producing 13.6 volts or less under all conditions.
4. Oil sample showed coolant in the oil. I will send in a resample next week.
5. A clunking/grinding in the front end no matter which way I turn.
6. About $1000 worth of body work since I backed into a mailbow last fall. Doh!

So, I owe about $15K on this truck. I love it, but it looks like I'm staring down the barrel of about $5000 worth of repairs just to make it solid again.

What would you do and where would you start? Should I just try to trade it in on something else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2012, 06:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

FICM voltage is low should be no lower than 45 48 is ideal.
With Delta in that range and the fact you have coolant in the oil you may have an oil cooler or egr cooler problem. It is recomended to change both when doing one.

Clunking check your hubs and the joints. One hub could be partially engaged.
Old 03-17-2012, 06:30 PM

Not that I don't appreciate the response, but I know the FICM is screwed and the oil cooler is likely shot too.

I'm asking advice about what you would do. Do I choke on the repairs and get it bulletproofed and fix the FICM, body work and the front end or do I count my losses and try to trade it in?

Sent from my HTC Glacier using AutoGuide.com App
Old 03-17-2012, 06:46 PM

Tough call man... Maybe see what they would give? Decide if its worth it... good luck either way man!
Old 03-18-2012, 07:11 PM

Its a tough one these 6.0 engines can be made very dependeble if you can do the work yourself you can fix almost all common issues in a weekend and for about 1,500 dollars. If you have the time and means pull the cab and start with arp head studs, egr delete if you can in your state, black onxy head gaskets. You can safely push the engine to 800 ft/lbs with proper guages to monior whats going on. The 6.0 engine is a good platform its the emmissions that have all but killed the diesel engine in this country. I have been running mine hard for 66,000 miles without a singel failure yet on this truck and i am around 775ft/lbs of torque. My last 6.0 made it to 277,000 miles without any problems but it remained stock.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:16 PM

^^ jesus!!! But hell yeah!! Haha id love to see my van reach some respectible #s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.