towing problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2012, 07:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question towing problems

We were towing a 35' fifth wheel RV (about 13,000#) in to Texas from Ohio January 2011. Had overheating issues and barely made it to destination. As a result, suffered EGR and oil cooler failures plus ERG valve replacement under warranty for 06 F-350 dually with 6.0 engine in January 2011. All caused by the fan clutch going bad during off-towing season in 2010. Clutch replaced after other parts were replaced and all was OK until in the boonies in west Texas on I-10 when intercooler/turbo clamp let go and stranded in no-mans land. Quick call to AAA for tow to Ft Stockton, TX for repairs( had RV adder on AAA so 90 mile tow was free). It's time for another towing season but suspect other problems in truck... seems to be loosing power up grades, down shift more, even in tow/haul mode. What do I need to be aware of and possible causes? thanks..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2012, 04:09 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Turbo maybe going out? How many miles on the truck? Them issues u had couldn't have been good for the stock turbo at all..
Old 03-18-2012, 05:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I would get the tranny serviced. Have a data scan run to check for potential problems.

Take the turbo apart and clean it, it maybe sticking. Check all your hoses and the belt.

Find pootential problems now instead of on the side the road in the middle of nowhere.

Mebe even pull the egr valve and clean it as well as the EBP sensor
Old 03-18-2012, 10:07 AM

Check your fuel pressure
Old 03-18-2012, 10:31 AM

Well to start with i pull a 14k 5er and if don't have gauges you may get stranded again because the gauges in the dash just just look good and take up space when they move it is to late. Need something like the Edge Insight CTS to tell deltas on ECT-EOT max is 15* i think if you are at 10* on flat ground running solo doing 60 after 2-3min your oil cooler is starting to plug and you also need the expandable pyro to tell your EGT over 1350* on a pull is to HOT when i hit that i back out of it some and a fuel pressure gauge because fuel pressure under 45lbs at WOT and pulling a 5er you are in WOT kills injector 99% of all 6L have low pressure. Do you have a coolant filter to remove the casting sand and other junk in the system.
2 stroker

Last edited by 2 stroker; 03-18-2012 at 10:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.