Need help coolant leak - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2012, 06:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need help coolant leak

ALright guys i have some coolant coming out of the degas bottle. Truck has over 100k with the original cap. Could this be the problem. Truck runs great other than a little coolant comming out of the cap. I would like to do a presure test to check the head gaskets. Where would I go to get the parts i need for this. I went to Vato zone and they did not have anything. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2012, 08:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok I just did a couple wide open 0-70 runs and I have orange coolant on the hood and degass bottle. It's not white like I see on pictures. The temp gauge does not move, stays in normal range. Any ideas
Old 03-16-2012, 09:12 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Need some gauges like the Edge CTS or ScanGaugeII to see the health of the motor max spread, deltas 15* i think 10* the oil cooler is getting plugged do you have a coolant filter on. When the gauges in the dash move it is to late.
2 stroker
Old 03-16-2012, 09:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

No I do not have a coolant filter. The truck is bone stock. Does this not sound like a head gasket.
Old 03-17-2012, 12:51 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Where is your coolant level on the degas tank with the truck cold? If it is above the minimum mark on the degas tank it is too high. Ford has a sticker that shows the old minimum on the degas tank is now the new maximum. See the sticker in the picture http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/...tle-degass.jpg
Old 03-17-2012, 05:52 AM

Yes it could be your cap. They are known to get weak over time. Even OEM caps are pretty cheap, or try an aftermarket.

Could be that your degas bottle is overfull. They will puke with too much coolant. Do you have the stcker showing the new min/max level? See the picture in the post above to set your proper level.

It could also be a blown EGR cooler. Do you have other symptoms? (lots of white smoke that smells like coolant?) You should get some gauges or an Insight to monitor your EOT and ECT differential. Once your oil cooler plugs up the EGR cooler is on the way to the same and cause head gasket problems. The root of the problem is the Ford gold coolant. May want to read on on this and consider what the best course of action is regarding flushing your system and switching to a CAT ELC coolant. Depending on where your oil coolers health is currently at, your course of action may vary. Need to read up and get familiar with the issue.

Could be headgaskets. Only sure way is to watch the pressure in the cooling system and/or buy the BlokChek kit to test for CO in the coolant.

Hope for the best, but act soon or you may regret it.

MikeB
Old 03-17-2012, 06:55 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Here is a video on a simple way to check for bad head gaskets. Very easy to make one yourself.

http://www.powerstrokehelp.com/EDAS/hero_kit_rental.asp
Old 03-17-2012, 08:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the replys, the truck does not smoke one bit. On mye degas bottle the only thing I see is one line no min or max?
Old 03-17-2012, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob06 View Post
Thanks for the replys, the truck does not smoke one bit. On mye degas bottle the only thing I see is one line no min or max?
Only fill the degasing tank about 1/3 of the way. Like i said get so gauges even the ScangaugeII for about $150 may save your motor. You may need to do a coolant flush will not know untill you have gauges.
2 stroker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.