Starting issue - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2012, 06:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Starting issue

Well its an 03 6.0l and for awhile i have been having starting issues with the truck, it will start and die, start and die, and eventually it will stay running. sometimes it starts kinda lopes like it will die and never does. now if i turn the key on wait about 30 seconds and then turn the key off and then back on and wait another 30 seconds it seems to start every single time, some times it will lope a little after that but never dies.

now tonight i went to start it and all it did was crank, i turn the key off then back on and try to start, just cranks. then i do the 30 second on twice and it starts right up. FICM voltage is reading 48-48.5, icp voltage when ideling is .8 to .9 (dont know what it should be). And i scanned for codes and nothing is coming up. to me it almost seems like the fuel is draining back out or its losing prime. when i bought it i changed all the filters with motorcraft filters and used 5w-40 rottella oil. the truck has 287,000 miles on it and i really dont know what has been done except what i did and the mods are in my sig.

Any ideas on where to start or any dignostics i need to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2012, 06:17 PM

any one have any sugestions?
Old 03-15-2012, 02:04 AM

You pretty much are on the right track. Check both filter covers are sealed properly.
Remove the secondary filter and check that the drain off valve isn't damaged or some other component. Check your fuel line connections etc. It does sound like you are bleeding of fuel and haveing to refill (prime) the system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.