6.0 White Smoke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2012, 01:22 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 White Smoke

I have a 2004 F250 6.0 that is blowing what appears to be white steam, or smoke it hard to tell the difference. The truck just started doing this today. I had a similar problem about a month ago where the truck was blowing white smoke and had no power, it still ran at idle but had no power. I pulled and cleaned the stuck EGR valve and that fixed the problem, but now the truck seems to have power but blows white steam. I pulled the EGR again it wasn't as dirty but seemed to be a little moist. Also when I would shake the EGR valve it would make a little clink like it wasn't securing tightly back to its original position,. Any idea's on what it could be please let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2012, 01:26 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Sounds like it could be egr cooler gone bad.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thats what I am afraid of. Nothing on these trucks is cheap so im trying to get as much insight and opinions as possible before I go spending entire pay checks on parts.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:39 AM

I heard that. But I suggest you do the egr delete. Now you can check and talk to some people on here I can't remember at the moment but you can just weld some kind of plugs to delete to egr and save tons of money to. Someone will chime in soon enough and explain on detail more I'm sure of it. Take a weekend and get a buddy or two some beer and get dirty with her. It's not as bad as you think
Old 03-13-2012, 04:38 PM

The reason the egr cooler went out is the oil cooler is bad also (plugged) so the bad news, just to fix the egr cooler will not fix the problem. You will need to do both because of the casting sand and silicate drop out from the Ford Gold coolant. You need to do a coolant flush because you will have the same thing happen again if it is real bad you may have to fix the egr cooler then do a flush then replace the oil cooler. Do you have gauges something like the Edge Insight CTS or ScangaugeII to check temps max is 15* and i would think you are higher than that.
2 stroker
Old 03-13-2012, 09:28 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I started the truck again today, let it warm up to operating tempature, parking it facing down hill to see if any fluid was under the EGR valve. the EGR valve looked a little wet but I did not see a puddle or anything in the intake manifold. I stuck a screw driver in there and pulled out a clump of goo. It was black, sticky, and very gooey. Any suggestions.

I found a kit from MKM for about $1300 that includes
Black Onyx Head Gaskets either 18mm or 20mm by Sinister Mfg. Company
Ford Exhaust Gaskets
ARP Head Stud Set
Ford Factory Oil Cooler Kit
Ford Factory Oil Cooler Screen
Ford Factory Intake Gaskets
Ford Factory Turbo Hardware/O-Ring Kit

I'm wondering if I should just buy the kit and do almost a complete rebuild or keep trying to pin point the problem. Any suggestions?
Old 03-13-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragout View Post
I started the truck again today, let it warm up to operating tempature, parking it facing down hill to see if any fluid was under the EGR valve. the EGR valve looked a little wet but I did not see a puddle or anything in the intake manifold. I stuck a screw driver in there and pulled out a clump of goo. It was black, sticky, and very gooey. Any suggestions.

I found a kit from MKM for about $1300 that includes
Black Onyx Head Gaskets either 18mm or 20mm by Sinister Mfg. Company
Ford Exhaust Gaskets
ARP Head Stud Set
Ford Factory Oil Cooler Kit
Ford Factory Oil Cooler Screen
Ford Factory Intake Gaskets
Ford Factory Turbo Hardware/O-Ring Kit

I'm wondering if I should just buy the kit and do almost a complete rebuild or keep trying to pin point the problem. Any suggestions?
Kit is good but of you do the black onyx head gaskets you will regret it like every other person on here has. But if you can call whoever offers that kit and they will ussually let you pay the difference for the oem HG that way you won't have to do the job twice.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:06 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

If the head gaskets are not blown, leave them alone...for now. But I would suggest doing a BPD egr cooler and oil cooler. You will definately need to replace the oil cooler anyway, if you use an oem one the problem will come back. If you onlu want to do this once go BPD all the way. Fully bulletproof. It is pricey though. I had your problem. Had the stealership fix it and we split the cost because I was slightly out of warranty. If I would have known then what I know now, I would have BPD'ed the sucker. Instead, I have the same problem again 7,000 miles later. This time i'm doing the work myself and bulletproofing. Oh well, hopefully you can learn a little from my misfortune.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:13 PM

Don't give bad advice. If you want to do the HG now and save yourself from having do do it later. Then by all means go for it. If you do a HG job before you have problems you are more likely to not have any problems later.
Old 03-14-2012, 05:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

You're right. I wouldn't do all that work and not touch the hg's myself. I shouldn't have said leave them be ...for now. I know what I meant to say, but i guess it came out wrong. I think I was just hoping his problem was less than mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.