04 6.0 nightmare!!!!!!! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2012, 03:59 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
04 6.0 nightmare!!!!!!!

OK for starters everyone on here seems to know ALOT more about desiels than me which is great. Thanks in advance.

After reading through alot of the posts I seem to have some of the same problems and the others with a few exceptions.

2004 6.0l F250 4x4 screw 121000miles.

for starters 2 days ago while driving down the road at 65 the motor sputtered then shut down luckly I was able to get o the side of the road without incidant. Sat there for a few minutes and tried to crank but it would just turn over and over. let it sit for about 5 minutes then tried to crank finally got it started but she was idling REALLY rough smoothed out abit and I put her in gear stepped on the throttle and nothing happened. I pushed the pedal to the floor and it SLOOOOWLy started to move out and about 1mph incriments was able to get up to 45mph and limp home. T
Thought is was a fuel issue so I changed out both filters and pulled some fuel to check for water. No water so i was hoping it was fixed.

It cranked up but ran rough and would only stay running for about 30 seconds before it would shut off( Sounds like it is running out of fuel.

Pulled off the top fuel cap and have a massive amout of air bubbles filling up the housing( I did leave the filter in when I cked it).

But after talking to several mechanis and reading all the different posts it sund like it could be anything from an IPR or ICP sensor to a FICM or HPOP issue.

This is turnin out to be the worst ( and most expensive ) truck I have ever owned.

Last year I replaced most of the top with a new EGR cooler Oil Cooler head studs head gaskets injectors etc... and that was a chunk of change replaced at 107000 miles.

Any help is greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2012, 05:25 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
for starters....you need a monitor for the important PIDs..I have the edge CTS. It was my first purchase after reading the post on this sight. Bubbles in the fuel filter bowl could be combustion gasses passing the injector seals.....you need to check your fuel pressure and check the codes.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:23 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Welcome brother! It sucks...I'm on one week of mine being in the shop and still not knowing what it is. It doesn't get any better... lol
Old 03-09-2012, 06:42 PM
Another 6Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgun_girl View Post
Welcome brother! It sucks...I'm on one week of mine being in the shop and still not knowing what it is. It doesn't get any better... lol
Glad to see someone has a positive attitude

If you can hook up a code reader to it, im sure we can figure out your issue. I would test your FICM and make sure thats ok and then go from there.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:42 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouboy02 View Post
Glad to see someone has a positive attitude

If you can hook up a code reader to it, im sure we can figure out your issue. I would test your FICM and make sure thats ok and then go from there.
If only it were THAT simple. Far too often, too many people tend to think that it's as simple as "hook the machine up and it will tell you what's wrong with it". For what it's worth, I've had more than my share of vehicles that have come in with no logged codes, but have had issues that were solely dependent on experience to repair.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:02 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 13 reviews
you should try and put a fuel gauge on it that will pass fuel through a clear hose back to fuel tank. start it and rev it ti 2k rpm if it get bubbles in fuel then you have to isolate side. with baloon test for both fuel feds from heads. but i think you either have a cracked head or cracked injector cup. they both will allow exhaust to get into fuel. ive even seen bad copper rings on bottom of injector go bad and exhaust blow past fuel ring. ive even seen bad injector do same thing!
Old 03-10-2012, 04:18 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
I've seen many many injectors leak combustion gas into the fuel system starving that bank of fuel and eventually stalling the truck. The most common repair is to isolate the bank then replace all of the injectors. injectors fired with no fuel in them will have suffered internal damage as the plunger will bottom out in the barrel.

you could try removing all of the glow plugs one at a time and cranking to see which cyl is putting combustion gas into the filter housing
Old 03-11-2012, 10:47 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-chan68 View Post
If only it were THAT simple. Far too often, too many people tend to think that it's as simple as "hook the machine up and it will tell you what's wrong with it". For what it's worth, I've had more than my share of vehicles that have come in with no logged codes, but have had issues that were solely dependent on experience to repair.
That is exactly what mine is doing....not a code to be found.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.