6.0 won't start after filter change - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2012, 12:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0 won't start after filter change

Oh...the same old horror story! I have read about this on the forum a gazillion times but I am in need of assistance as well. I changed the fuel filters on my 06 Ford F250 6.0 recently and believed it is "air locked"! There is plenty of fuel in the top filter and I actually got it running for about 5 seconds three different times. Eventually it killed my batteries (needed new ones anyways) so I replaced them and got it to start again for about 3 seconds. When I take the cap off the fuel filter the fuel pump cuts on and fills it with fuel but I have noticed there are still a few air bubbles that pop up from time to time. I have primed and cranked...primed and cranked...any ideas? My truck was running fine until the fuel filters were changed. Thanks for any suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2012, 01:10 PM
information regurgitator

Did you use Motorcraft (Raycor and International brands are ok too)?
If not, go buy a Motorcraft fuel filter and try again.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I used Motorcraft. Put a new cap on it because the o-ring in the original was shot.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:10 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
You may need a hfcm unfortunately. it's possible you lost the prime on the system and the pump can't provide the output needed to re-pressurize the fuel system. Some of these trucks will run on almost no fuel pressure.

I would find a way to get a gauge on that secondary housing and see what it's actually putting out.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I had this happen the first time I did mine. When you primed it, you didn't actually crank it did you? You shouldn't, just turn the key to the glow plug/prime setting for 30 seconds, let it sit, do it again, do NOT crank. Do this 3-4 times.

I actually took my lower filter off a 2nd time because I was worried the first time I did it that the same thing happened. After that I made sure to give it a ton of time to prime and all was fine.

Just did my fuel filters, and oil and filter Wednesday before our long trip to FL from OH. Also changed the water sep. plug out(highly recommend doing that) to the XDP Diesel one.
Old 03-10-2012, 04:46 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Ok...so I am a blonde I was reading some posts about the Blue Spring upgrade kit for my truck and kept noticing in the fuel filter housing (secondary) that the pictures someone had posted did not quite look like mine. So I research and mine has something missing. When I changed the fuel filter (my first time ever changing it so how would I know what it looks like) the check valve had broken off and was stuck in the filter I had disposed of. I am sure this is important so I did order a replacement as well as the Blue Spring reg kit and a billet filter housing cap. My question: How likely is it that this is my problem? Fingers crossed that this is all it is.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenicetwin View Post
Ok...so I am a blonde I was reading some posts about the Blue Spring upgrade kit for my truck and kept noticing in the fuel filter housing (secondary) that the pictures someone had posted did not quite look like mine. So I research and mine has something missing. When I changed the fuel filter (my first time ever changing it so how would I know what it looks like) the check valve had broken off and was stuck in the filter I had disposed of. I am sure this is important so I did order a replacement as well as the Blue Spring reg kit and a billet filter housing cap. My question: How likely is it that this is my problem? Fingers crossed that this is all it is.
Yes you may have found the problem look here.
No Start After Changing Fuel Filters - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
how to change the fuel filters
http://www.dieselfiltersonline.com/D...ence-Guide.pdf
Here you go this is a good post by Band_ Member on the fuel pressure reg spring install. Just remember 99% of the 6.0 running around have low fuel pressure and don't know it. Not all pictures will load
Fuel Regulator Upgrade w/ Pictures - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
2 stroker

Last edited by 2 stroker; 03-10-2012 at 05:54 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:03 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Stupid question. Did you properly seat the Primary fuel filter cap? I read it so many times, including having to fix one that got towed to me, after Quicky Lube changed the fuel filters. The bottom filter, although difficult to access and replace, can very easily feel like it is tightened properly when it is not. You need to look at the housing very closely to make 100% sure the cap is bottomed out to the housing, or you will create an air lock. As far as priming the fuel system is concerned, on all the trucks that have come into my shop, all I do is install the filters, fire up and go. No need to prime the system up. Now on a 6.4L or 6.7L, that's a different story .......
Old 03-12-2012, 08:58 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 stroker View Post
Yes you may have found the problem look here.
No Start After Changing Fuel Filters - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
how to change the fuel filters
http://www.dieselfiltersonline.com/D...ence-Guide.pdf
Here you go this is a good post by Band_ Member on the fuel pressure reg spring install. Just remember 99% of the 6.0 running around have low fuel pressure and don't know it. Not all pictures will load
Fuel Regulator Upgrade w/ Pictures - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
2 stroker
If I had seen these posts a week ago it would have saved me from stressing out. Thanks for the great info and links. I was actually looking at the installation of the Blue Spring upgrade kit when I noticed that I didn't have the fuel return tube in the filter housing. Hate to say this but mine was a Motorcraft filter. How the tube broke I will never know but the new one will be here on Wednesday so I will be sure to let everyone know if this is indeed my problem. Thanks so much for all of the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.