06 6.0 missing or sluggish at 60mph - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2012, 07:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy 06 6.0 missing or sluggish at 60mph

Hello,

I have a 2006 F250 and it runs good, idles good and don't smoke, but when I start up a grade or if I'm on the highway cruising about sixty and accellerate it will start to miss or sputter but then clears up. This is my first diesel and I don't know alot about them. I have cleaned the EGR valve and replaced the orings and gasket. Your help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2012, 05:30 PM
Emergency Services

Im having the same problem with my 07. im fixing to delete the egr and see what happens from there. one of my coworkers had the same thing with his 05 and had a bad o-ring in the high pressure oil pump. so if the erg delete doesnt help thats next. best of luck to ya. ill post if the delete clears it up
Old 03-08-2012, 07:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Wink

Thanks for your comments and good luck to you also
Old 03-08-2012, 07:40 PM
Emergency Services

Ok so I just tried to take the erg valve out and clean it to see if that helped any and I can't get it out. Keep in mind I'm at work untill 8 am and am limited to the tools I carry every where and this is my only way home once get off and I didn't want to pry to much. In short is it supposed to just pull straight up to come out or is it ceased up and that's why its not coming out.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Ok this is a beast to get out. I used two small screw drivers to pry on each side of tabs. There is probably an easier way but I was limited to resources as well. Once I got it out I used carb cleaner,a small wire brush, and steel wool (fine) to polish it. Good luck !!!
Old 03-09-2012, 06:03 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Once the bolts are out and wiring removed, try and rotate the valve. If it turns you should be able to get it out. If you are worried about not being able to run the truck if you mess something up, you may want to pick up and o-ring and gasket kit for the valve just in case.

Once you get the valve to turn (confirming it is not really stuck), rotate the valve until the bolt holes no longer line up (not too much, maybe 1/8 - 1/4 of a turn). Now take some stout wire (I use rebar tie wire) and wind it through one bolt hole, around the valve, through the other bolt hole and make a nice loop about 6 inches above the valve. Now get a piece of 2x4 or something to protect your engine, and find a good place to lay it down as a point to pry on. Now get a pry bar (stout broom handle, long straight shovel, spud bar) and slip it through the loop and being careful to pull straight up you will be able to pop the valve loose. If the valve doesn't want to come free, the tie wire will break before you get too much force on the valve.

Be careful to not damage the orings when you clean the valve. Some cleaners (brake clean, carb clean) will cause the orings to swell and you will not be able to get the valve back in, so remove the orings first or have a spare set on hand.

MikeB
Old 03-09-2012, 06:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I recently had issues with my 04 F250 6.0. Do a search online and i'm im getting prety nervous. I've even read that there is a class action lawsuit pending for these motors. I did a search and started a complaint with The Office of Defects Investigation. Hopefully something will make of all this mess. I will be following this...
Old 03-09-2012, 04:59 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninety5percent View Post
I recently had issues with my 04 F250 6.0. Do a search online and i'm im getting prety nervous. I've even read that there is a class action lawsuit pending for these motors. I did a search and started a complaint with The Office of Defects Investigation. Hopefully something will make of all this mess. I will be following this...
...i see this is your first post......apparently this is the first one you read also........
Old 03-09-2012, 07:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I've lurked around for a few months and read the other posts. I haven't had any issues with my 6.0. You think I should check the fuel filter?? �������� lol
Old 03-11-2012, 06:16 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
ninety5percent.......people have been complaining about 6.0's for at least nine years. If you want to own one, there are some basic things that have to be done to make them reliable, your efforts are better spent trying to learn about them, (then wasting your time filing complaints) to make it what you want. Start your own post with the most info you can give about your rig and everyone will be glad to help. And welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.