Help with purchasing a modded 2003 F250 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 10:23 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Help with purchasing a modded 2003 F250

I'm looking at buying a 2003 F250 CCSB Fx4 lariat with 228,xxx miles on it. The truck has running boards, a gooseneck hitch, EGR delete, APR head studs, And an oil cooler. The truck also has a 6" lift and 37x13.5x22 nitto mud grapplers on it. I can get the truck for $11,000

What are things I should be concerned about, we're there any tranny problems on this year model or any other problems I need to worry about. Is that a good price considering the mods.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2012, 11:24 PM
Emergency Services

I'm always leery about buying a rig with a lift because you never know how well it was done. Test drive it and give it hell...make sure it doesn't puke and runs good. I'd offer em 10 cash because of the lift and the fact that tires to fit that would be stupid expensive.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:50 AM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I definitley second hays on the drive it hard part and make sure you check for any residue on the degas bottle. But do keep in mind that the new max level on the coolant is right below the min line and to much can cause it to puke. And on the lift, if your a lifted truck kind of guy then you would already have it and just go over it and check every bolt, washer, and bushing and make sure its all done correctly. And find out if he has stock gears in it. Just my Best of luck on your truck buying.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTR stroker View Post
I definitley second hays on the drive it hard part and make sure you check for any residue on the degas bottle. But do keep in mind that the new max level on the coolant is right below the min line and to much can cause it to puke. And on the lift, if your a lifted truck kind of guy then you would already have it and just go over it and check every bolt, washer, and bushing and make sure its all done correctly. And find out if he has stock gears in it. Just my Best of luck on your truck buying.

Where is the degas bottle located. Thanks
Old 03-04-2012, 06:10 PM
Emergency Services

its driver side against the fire wall. you cant miss it, ill try and post a pic to help you if I can figure out how to post it
Attached Thumbnails
Help with purchasing a modded 2003 F250-100_0052.jpg  
Old 03-04-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTR stroker View Post
its driver side against the fire wall. you cant miss it, ill try and post a pic to help you if I can figure out how to post it
Ok I went and looked at the truck today and I cant remember if there was any residue there or not. I did however have a few concerns with things that I have found on the truck and they are as follows.

1. The ABS and door open light stay on all the time, the truck does have a trailer brake controller installed so that may have something to do with the ABS light im not sure.

2. When I got in the truck and shifted it into drive, the indicator on the shifter guide went just past the "D". is that a magor problem.

3. I made sure I got to look at a cold truck, so when I arrived they siad the truck had been parked in the same spot for atleast a day, there was about a 4" circle of transmission fluid on the ground under the truck.

4. The truck started up just fine and sounded solid, I let it idle for about 20 minutes and during that time I didnt notice any fluids dripping from under the truck, I then gassed on it and there was no smoke coming from the exhaust. But after I took the truck for a drive and got it good and warmed up, I then parked it, left it running and i then noticed almost instantley that there were 6 ot 7 quarter size drops of oil that were coming from where the motor and transmision come together, now I dont know if thats what is leaking or if thats just where it is dripping off from somewhere else.

5. The owner said the truck ha had an EGR delete, APR head studs, and an oil cooler. The EGR sensor is still in place and he said that everything deleted was done internaly, is this correct. How can I check to make sure that everything he says has been done has really been done.

All in all the truck is in great shape inside and out, it ran solid and looks great. I offered him $9,000 depending on what a mechanic said about the oil leak and he agreed, that is if somebody else doesnt try and buy it first. What should I do.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:18 PM
Emergency Services

What's the location of the truck? Might be best to see if someone local can go look at it...you really need to know what to look for and an every day mechanic might miss stuff.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:51 PM
Emergency Services

Someone correct me if im wrong but you should be able to see the bottom row of studs that are outside valve cover. And if they are arp you can see the ingraving on top of stud. For the oil cooler...idk maybe ask for reciept or work order on it? maybe someone else will chime in and help with the egr delete.

Last edited by RTR stroker; 03-04-2012 at 09:01 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:52 PM

Sounds like he's either a motivated seller or he knows something's a ticking time bomb.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:56 PM

If he's done an egr delete you can look under the pass side intake and there will be no big round stainless tube running along the intake and as far as the oil leak, it could be a rear main seal, turbo oil feed line or drain pipe ( prone to fail) or if he was in to the hpop ( prone to fail on this year) he may not have sealed it up right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.