Firing problem? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 04:30 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gas peddle only blows smoke

I think I have a problem.

I was driving down the road, when suddenly...

I completely lost all power from the gas peddle.
It slowed down to an idle. a smooth idle. and I could limp to a safe place to park it for the night, which was only about a half mile from where the trouble started.

It will start and idle like a champ.
But 'any' pressure on the gas gauge and it, instead of producing 'any' power, will make flooded sounds, and billow out smelly clouds of smoke. Until you give up on the gas, and then it will slowly even out to its nice normal sounding idle.

Thoughts?

Last edited by OldManSlerm; 03-04-2012 at 09:13 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2012, 09:18 AM

bump for some ideas?

idles strong and normal.
gas peddle only bogs down the engine and causes lots of smelly thick smoke.
zero power in the gas peddle.

Normally, in my experience with gas engines, I would say it wasn't getting any spark. But it has been brought to my attention that diesels aren't like that, and it could be something more sinister like a clogged turbo. Does that just 'happen' driving down the road?

Especially when two weeks ago I had a perfectly smooth trip to FL and last week a perfectly smooth trip back to IN. This doesn't feel to me like something that has been creeping up. This feels more like a loose wire, a bad ground, or a clogged filter of some kind.

I have all day today to look at it and work on it. Should could use some ideas. I am a hands on kind of guy, but diesels are still a little too foreign for me to dig in on my own yet.

TIA
Old 03-04-2012, 10:27 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Startedith the simple stuff--I would check then fuel filters, and clean the EGR valve
Old 03-04-2012, 04:40 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCfarmboy View Post
Startedith the simple stuff--I would check then fuel filters, and clean the EGR valve
what he said.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:57 PM

I had a similar thing happen my my F250. I think it was either sticky turbo banes or else a stuck open EGR.

Both are easy to check and clean.

MikeB
Old 03-04-2012, 08:20 PM

(bump to add more info. pasted from another post)

It happened right at, or right after dusk, so I don't know exactly that it was black smoke.

It was thick smoke, and it smelled awful, like the *** end of the truck was on fire. But when I quickly turned the key off and jumped out to verify, by the time I was out and behind the truck, the smoke had blown away. (high winds at the time, also)

The truck is parked in a safe place, and I have another vehicle. Time isn't a huge issue. I appreciate any ideas.

It has somewhere around 7/8 tank of fuel, with the appropriate mix of Power Service Diesel Kleen for the amount of fuel I added at the last pump.

If it makes a difference.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:44 AM

(bump) WITH CODES!

P0299
P0404
P0528
P115A

And new info!

Went to get the codes and try some things. Found out some new info:

It ran fine BEFORE it warmed up. So I attempted to drive it home, or to the office, both places where I can better/more easily attempt to diagnose the problem.

Ran fine for a mile or so. Then started acting up again. The check engine light did, in fact, come on. The smoke was thick and white with an ever-so-slight bluish tint.

It did this for about a half mile, (or 20 minutes, depending on how you want to look at it) and then it just... stopped doing it. The gas peddle came back to life, the smoke went away, and I was able to drive it the rest of my 4ish mile drive to the office.

Everything is running fine now. Maybe something gummy got in, but got worked out?

As a point of potential interest, shortly before it started working 'normal' again, a truck was coming up from behind me very fast, so i instinctively crushed the skinny peddle to attempt to power out of his way onto the shoulder. It acted like it was going to die, then when it cleared up and smoothed out again, that is when the fuel peddle came back to life and I was able to drive it normally with no problems after that.

I'm sure there is still something that needs looked at, but maybe that gives a better idea?

Thanks again.
Old 03-05-2012, 04:25 PM
Premium Member

Try getting a scan gauge or cts to check ficm voltage ?
Old 03-05-2012, 07:04 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
pull that EGR valve, it really sounds like it's sticking open. The P0404 and P0299 kind of confirm this actually.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:01 PM

Agreed with the EGr valve--
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.