Issues tuning SCT x3 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 04:28 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Thumbs down Issues tuning SCT x3

I recently got a tuner for the Ex. SCT x3. I've loaded 3 files, Spartan Economy, Spartan Tow, and A Custom tune by a popular vendor here. I have had great performance with the Custom file and was measuring some pressures and fuel economy etc. I went into town and decided to return to stock and compare the measurements. I did everything as usual, have returned to stock 4-6 times before and changed tunes from the Custom file to one of the Spartan files maybe 2-3 times. Everything went fine until i started the truck. The truck had to crank twice as long as normal to fire and when it did I had terrbile white/gray smoke and the truck seemed to bog when trying to throttle. As long as the RPMs were kept low the truck was drivable but snail like. I pulled it around the side of the store, a good place to load on a roll back jic. The turbo was puffing in spurts for maybe a second on then off for a minute on for a sec... I killed it read the DTCs with the STC and came up with P1000, no biggie, P0046, P0404, and P0063.

I tried the spartan file, same crap. Then loaded back to the Custom file and it ran perfectly normal. Later at home I found something that I hadn't noticed before. My strategy as sent to the tuner is VXBC9L2 and the Custom file is VXAP1N6 the trans strat is different also. I am concerned mostly because the day I received the tune it was locked to another serial number for some other guys SCT. I resent it and two secs later I receive the file that worked with my tuner. Could my tune have been compiled with his strategy, but my serial number and caused damage or issues over time? Please help... Sorry for the novel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2012, 04:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to roustabout04
The diff strat codes will affect it. If their not matched to your truck/tuner then you will have problems. I ran into the same thing with my SCT. Had a tune from when my truck was the old strat and then ford updated it and it ran like the poo. Got with the tuner and he matched the tune with the strat and everything was fine from that point.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:00 PM
Premium Member

Figured the different strategies would not be good. Could running the wrong strategy have caused any issues with my turbo?
Old 03-03-2012, 07:43 PM
Premium Member

Bump to the top....anyone?
Old 03-03-2012, 08:48 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by roustabout04 View Post
The diff strat codes will affect it. If their not matched to your truck/tuner then you will have problems. I ran into the same thing with my SCT. Had a tune from when my truck was the old strat and then ford updated it and it ran like the poo. Got with the tuner and he matched the tune with the strat and everything was fine from that point.
Your issue was totally different than the OP, what happened to you was, your dealer put in a new flash that the SCT didn't recognize or didn't work well with the tuned strategy.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:57 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason.Horath View Post
Figured the different strategies would not be good. Could running the wrong strategy have caused any issues with my turbo?
Tunes writers mix and match strategies all the time, that's because they know which strategies work the best when manipulating the parameters in the tune. There are limits though, tunes or strategies written for the '03-'04 trucks will not work on the '05-'07's and vice versa. You take a chance when running the Spartan tunes,they may be corrupted depending on where you downloaded the tunes from.

Did you buy the SCT device used? Which model SCT?
Old 03-04-2012, 04:39 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to roustabout04
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilpooh View Post
Your issue was totally different than the OP, what happened to you was, your dealer put in a new flash that the SCT didn't recognize or didn't work well with the tuned strategy.
Ah ok i gotcha
Old 03-04-2012, 07:19 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilpooh View Post
Tunes writers mix and match strategies all the time, that's because they know which strategies work the best when manipulating the parameters in the tune. There are limits though, tunes or strategies written for the '03-'04 trucks will not work on the '05-'07's and vice versa. You take a chance when running the Spartan tunes,they may be corrupted depending on where you downloaded the tunes from.

Did you buy the SCT device used? Which model SCT?
Yes the tuner is used. I purchased it here from a forum member and it is in new condition. 5 unlocks left not married etc. I have had zero problems until yesterday. I figured it was either the strategy thing, which you and the tuner have now clarified. Which btw I was not expecting. I got an email today having me call to discuss the issue even though they are not working. Great customer service!!!
The spartan tunes came directly from the university server where I believe everyone else gets them. If they are corrupted they became corrupted while loaded in the device. I tried them out for a day while waiting on my custom tune to arrive. Then again tried the tow tune and rewrote back to stock a few times.

Lilpooh, are VXB9CL2 and VXAP1N6 compatible strategies?
Old 03-04-2012, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
I had issues on my 04 while running the spartan tunes.. Id stay away honestly..
Old 03-04-2012, 07:24 AM
Powerstroke Techie

I don't know enough about which strategies are compatible, but the tune writer do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.