'04 Problem - keep or sell? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2007, 10:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question '04 Problem - keep or sell?

I apologize in advance for the length, but I want to be accurate.

I have an F350XL 6.0L PS dually (basic) with all the towing equipment and the 4:10 rear end (factory - no mods) at 50k miles. Has been my farm truck and only lightly used (trailering hay and horses a few times a year and grain once a week. About four months ago, it powered off while driving and then came back on. Power was weak for a short period - then worked fine. Next day, my wife and stepdaughter see clouds of smoke and the truck loses power, they managed to creep into a parking lot. Towed to Ford, was told it was injectors and was replaced under warranty. (Cost about $125 in tow and $100 in deductable). Last week, after sitting all night in warm weather, truck will not turn over. It "spins" (Ford tech's term), but will not start. Again it gets towed. Ford tech cannot start it that night. Next day - starts fine. Next two days starts fine. I picked it up yesterday - Ford cannot tell me what caused the problem - no bad codes, etc. They shrugged their shoulders and said that they have no idea. Has run fine so far today. (We'll see if it starts tomorrow.)

I am concerned because my wife and I use this truck AND we have quite a few horses. If one needs emergency care, I cannot have a truck that decides not to start that day - it could cost me one of my horses.

I have read a bunch about high pressure oil pumps, injectors, injector pumps and the gremlins infesting the '04's which "have been corrected". I have also seen many posts here and elsewhere that the problems keep happening.

I just want to know whether this problem really can be fixed or whether it will just cascade into others. If not, what is the current status with these problems? (Have seen similer complaints even in the '06 models.)

Finally, I went to three Ford dealerships today, pricing new trucks. All of the salesmen admitted a problem in the 03-04 models which was the reason for the 6.4L. Interestingly, none would offer a trade in on the truck that matched the low end of the Kelly Blue Book or NADA - despite the fact the truck is lightly used and low mileage for a diesel. Either this one is not holding its value at all or the dealerships do not want them back.

So my question is - keep this one and pray, buy a new Ford or buy another make?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2007, 11:16 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Blue01F250 Send a message via Yahoo to Blue01F250
Well - hopefully someone will be able to maybe point you into the correct diagnosis for your truck -- but if not - I say get a new one - seems most everyone that has a new 6.4 loves them! I wish I could afford one!
Old 09-19-2007, 04:01 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Rob Send a message via MSN to Rob Send a message via Skype™ to Rob
you might try trading it in. i wouldnt mention the issues at first, get a trade and get out of the headache! go with a new 6.4 or get another 6.0, its up to you. i hope this all works out for you! keep us posted on the happenings!!
Old 09-19-2007, 05:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Im not 100% sure on ford wiring but there has been several recalls on internationals with the 6.0 and DT466(small I6) that has delt with this. Basicly there is a bad connection in one of the several power or grounds to the engine ECM and IDM(engine control module and Indector drive module not sure what ford calls them) and the solution is to simply cut out the connector or hard wire the wire. If it turns over but wont crank its somthing with the IDM. If you can get a wiring diagram for it Id cut out all the connections and hardwire them. If this doesnt work trade it in I havnt had a single 6.4 truck come in yet with somthing wrong with the engine and all Iv heard is good things. So at the very least they must be better than the 6.0
Old 09-19-2007, 05:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

couold it be CPS
Old 09-22-2007, 04:52 AM
The Lady Mod

Send a message via Yahoo to Granny
If it is a wiring harness issue, it will not show codes. That is the first place I would start and then I would look at the HPOP. Good luck! I hope all gets worked out for you. I love my 6.0L even though I have had my share of issues, but.... I think I created them myself. btw it is not very likely at all that it is the CPS on a 6.0L.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:23 AM
LTJDS

Thumbs up Just got mine Back on the 22nd

I had to replace several items on my truck 6.0 PSD.
We started with the more easier changeable items, 1st fuel pump inside frame rail (driver side) 2nd Crank NOT___Cam Position Sensor. No Luck .
The Engine turns over but no fuel or to be exact NO oil compression on a (compression ignition engine) . Then the fun part ....not, LOL.
The HPOP along with a multitude of variable size O-rings in different internal locations, This was all done systematically, through pressure leak down TESTS. Finally got her started and am hoping that all issues are behind me NOW..

PS: All this was done with my pvt Mech so it will not show on an OASIS Report.
and Ohhh BTW she is an 06' 6.0L PSD.
I had this problem occur after I had my truck in the Body shop for a Front End Collision, I think something broke internally when I had my fender bender,(no one seriously hurt)

I was able to drive her for about 200 Miles ,mostly Highway, when i just got her out of the body shop and, Then she just up and QUIT ? my (speculation) WAS That something fractured internally from the collision and the O-Rings acted like Band-Aids until the majority of many related system parts finally failed.

I have 57K miles so she was under warr, but I did not want to involve the dealer for reasons stated above amoung other's , another one of these reasons was, that the dealer had a 2 week wait until they could even start to work on my truck.
As far as 6.0's and the dealer, I am convinced that you are more times than not, going to get an unwilling or in experienced tech that will only leave a BIG BLACK mark on your OASIS report and again most likely to cover up and/or not Diagnose / FIX the issues Completely, the first time if at all.
By going my route of CHOICE, If problems persist I have a cleaner History (OASIS) for a potential trade or buyer.
Don't get me wrong I Trully love my Ford and in the 7 & 1/2 months I have had her I have already WON 2 seperate Car Show Trophys..., BUT IF PROBLEMS PERSIST I regretabll have to say I'll be lookin" HARD at a 5.9L , 24 valve Common Rail Cummins, (unfortunately wrapped in a Dodge). BUT My main concern Like Yours is the FOREMOST need for RELIABILITY. Good Luck and keep us posted.
Prior to the fender bender I had no real engine problems AT ALL, This fact leaves me somewhat confident that the cause of my issues were Collision related and not just coincedental.

Last edited by LTJDS; 09-22-2007 at 05:41 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-22-2007, 06:08 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

ALL of the problems are correctable. Also the resale should at least match the nada.
Find another dealer first..then decide.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:33 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Did you resolve your truck issues? Would be nice for everyone to see solutions to problems such as yours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.