To change coolant now or wait.. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2012, 12:14 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
To change coolant now or wait..

Hey guys (and gals), first time posting but have been on the site for a month or so studying the 6.0 more than I have been studying for my final exams coming up. I bought my 2004 F250 about a month ago (stock besides lift) and have been a worry wart since about the EGR and oil cooler. First thing I did was buy an Edge Insight CS, installed and immediatley went for a drive, on that drive I had a 28 degree seperation in my deltas. Oasis report shows nothing after August of 2006 at 59k. Truck now has just over 100k. After spentless nights of reading, I went ahead and bought a EGR delete (installing this coming wednesday), new oil cooler, coolant by pass filter (sinister), and the goodies to do the flush (restore, restore plus, 30 gallons distilled water).

Sorry for the long post but wanted to make sure everything is mentioned, my question is, since I dont have the man hours currently to turn the wrenches myself, I am having a buddy of mine at his shop do my EGR delete and oil cooler. Should I flush now even though I am pretty sure my coolers are clogged, or flush after all my brand new goodies are in?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2012, 12:18 PM
Serving Our Country!

DO NOT flush after you put in the new oil cooler. You will only clog up the new one if you do that.

Flush it BEFORE you put in the new oil cooler. Then take everything apart and install the goodies.

Good luck!
Old 03-01-2012, 12:57 PM
Serving Our Country!

Thanks for the reply!

I figured that would be the route to go, however Im sure left overs from the ford gold will still be in the system, I forgot to mention (knew I would forget something) that I am switching to an ELC. Looks like it will be a fun weekend of fluid maitenance

Thanks again!
Old 03-01-2012, 08:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

To bad you did not have more time to get the coolant filter on to remove some of the casting sand do the flush then get it done. Did you get a new t/stat that is a must also.
3C3Z-8575-AA Thermostat with housing and o-ring
[RT-1169]Motorcraft Thermostat-RT1169-Ford Diesel Trucks - Diesel Filters,Additives,brake rotors, and brake pads for Chevy, Dodge and Ford Diesel Trucks
2 stroker
Old 03-01-2012, 10:52 PM
Serving Our Country!

Yes I did 2 stroker, actually thanks to you! Came upon a lot of your previous posts pertaining to coolant flushing, filtration, ect..
Old 03-02-2012, 08:22 PM

Glad i could help and hope the repairs go well
2 stroker
Old 03-03-2012, 05:38 AM

Something that a lot of people forget about when flushing is remove the thermostat and be shure the valve to the heater core is open. I wire it open and then remove wire when done. You also need to open the block drain valves, most people do not do that especially the one over the starter.

As a final step I hook up air to the top radiator hose to the engine and regulate it to 30# and blow air thru the block for 20 min. or so with all drains open and the bottom hose disconnected. This helps purge the block of fluids.

I need to note here that I use an external pump and 2 55gal drums when I flush, so not everyone can use my method. First flush is with plain water to the empty drum. Second flush is with half a drum of water and a gal of radiator flush, circulate for 2 hrs with a filter on the return line to drum. (a common household water filter) works quite well.
Final flush with distilled water with enogh to fill engine (not the drum) circulate and then drain then do the air thing. Hook everything back up, reinstall a new thermostat and add coolant, fill and then crank engine and run for a few minutes and burp engine to get any trapped air out. Top off the coolant and yer done. And yes it is a lot of work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.