Crank No Start 2003 F-250. No base oil pressure. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
6.0L Problems Forum Having Trouble? Post here

Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2012, 07:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Crank No Start 2003 F-250. No base oil pressure.

Not getting any oil pressure while cranking, and the oil filter housing does not fill with oil while cranking and having someone push down on the valve.

What is the best way to determine if it is a bad oil pump or a bad pickup tube? Is there something else i could be missing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2012, 07:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
I seriously doubt that it would be the pickup tube, unless you have been inside the oil pan for any reason. It's just a tube that sits there and does nothing, plus I have never heard of the pickup tube being a issue in the 6.0. I have heard of the LPOP going out though.

What happened to it? Did you do any work to it? Going down the road when it died?
I'm not trying to insult you or anything but, is it full of oil?

Sent from my tab using the keyboard.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:52 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
IPR valve screen...
Old 02-27-2012, 09:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaslord84 View Post
What happened to it? Did you do any work to it? Going down the road when it died?
I'm not trying to insult you or anything but, is it full of oil?

Sent from my tab using the keyboard.
It was parked and never restarted. Oil level is good. ICP pressure on cranking was only 11psi, even with the IPR commanded all the way closed with a scan tool. hooked up shop are to the ICP sensor and didn't hear any leaks, so at first i was thinking HPOP, but then i noticed there was no base oil pressure on the gauge while cranking. pulled the oil filter and the housing was empty and it didn't fill up while cranking. So basically i figured either the LPOP is dead, or the pickup tube was cracked/fell off, or however they fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six0~Stroker View Post
IPR valve screen...
hrmm, IPR valve is not too bad to get to, but i guess i don't understand why that would cause a loss of base oil pressure. please elaborate.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:30 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to jimmyv13 Send a message via Yahoo to jimmyv13
LPO somewhere.

Have you pulled the pressure regulator to see if oil pumps out?
Old 02-27-2012, 10:57 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyv13 View Post
LPO somewhere.

Have you pulled the pressure regulator to see if oil pumps out?
The IPR Valve, or is there a LPO pressure regulator too?
Old 02-27-2012, 03:37 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The press fit ball on the high pressure pump will allow a big enough leak to cause no base oil pressure. That is probably the most common cause
Old 02-28-2012, 02:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinner6.0L View Post
The press fit ball on the high pressure pump will allow a big enough leak to cause no base oil pressure. That is probably the most common cause
yes, but is there any way to test before ripping it out? 7 hours of labor + gasket sets is a pretty big risk.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinner6.0L View Post
Where is the ball located at?

and on the above post about the regulator can some one please explain in detail how to test for this issue. When starting while oil filter is out the housing fills up but drains back out without having to press the spring down. we pulled one out of a wrecked truck and all that we came out with was a threaded cap with spring. Is that all there is to the regulator? I would have figured there was something on the spring that would be a moving part.

Thanks for any help we are stumppped.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:35 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Ok, lot's of confusion on this thread. For the OP's issue, I think it's a low pressure oil issue. Yes, a large high pressure oil leak will cause the oil pressure gauge to not move up, but the way to determine if it's a low or high pressure oil leak is to pull the oil filter and crank it. If oil start pumping into the filter housing then you have a high pressure issue. If no oil pumps in then it's a low pressure problem.

Common possible causes could be issues with the pickup tube, faulty low oil pressure regulator, or oil pump/front cover issues.

I would start with pulling the low pressure oil pressure regulator and checking that. I had one the other day that had an injector inlet snap ring come apart, and a piece of the snap ring managed to get into the oil pressure regulator and hold it open causing no low oil pressure.

Pull the regulator out and make sure it's moving freely and not scored up. If all that looks good I'd pull the low pressure oil pump and inspect that next.
The Following User Says Thank You to justinmix For This Useful Post:
birddog55 (02-26-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
lpop, no start, oil pressure, oil pump, pickup tube

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.